Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Noob to the club and third gens, intro
CockneyTex
post Apr 21 2013, 08:27 PM
Post #1

ATGO Post-Lazy

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,264

Evening all, I found this place tonight and joined immediately. Im a noob Firebird owner, an 85 v6 T-top runner, I found for a song on Craigslist. My plan is to resto mod her and not just bring her back to life but have her breathe fire when done.

This is my first project of this nature, so its going to take a while, a lot of dollars and skinned knuckles.

Im in my mid 40s and live up in the NW, so looking forward to getting to know you guys and hopefully pick your brains as I rebuild my car.

Plus having some other third gen owners in the same vicinity will be cool so we can meet up etc.

Looking forward to joining in the addiction that is Thirdgen smile.gif

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigBadLou
post Apr 22 2013, 09:55 AM
Post #2

Electrical Guru

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 7

Tech Writer Lending a Hand Donations award

Welcome to the club. party.gif

It seems that the club popularity is picking up again (we had about a year of downtime) so let's keep the new members coming!

I can schedule a hang-out dinner or monthly breakfast again so that we can get to know the new members.
I am also up north but my 3rdgen ('91 Z28 convertible) is currently sitting in the garage, sanded down, awaiting a paint job (IF I can find a painter).

Tex, did you feel like suping up the V6 to breathe fire and kick V8's ass or will you be dropping in a bigger motor?

Lou

--------------------
"People suck, life blows, now that's what I call equilibrium!"

+Quote Post
CockneyTex
post Apr 22 2013, 02:14 PM
Post #3

ATGO Post-Lazy

Oh most def swapping out smile.gif

Trying to decide on what and how, Im leaning building a 3 fiddy but if a 400 block is on the horizon and cheap I might go 400, thinking twin turbos too.

My plan is a complete stealth bomber.

Basically other than a badass paint job, hardly any mods to the body, if they are they will be subtle, but I'm definitely bring the car up to date looks wise within reason, no body kits or the like, but bigger aftermarket wheels etc.

Interior will be a complete redo, using the correct plastic parts, but likely building a custom console and possible the instrument cluster, although not sure yet.

Will be definitely using aftermarket race seats in front and putting a rollcage in to stiffen her up.

So, its a real ambitious project when all is said and done, but I want to create a third gen that will turn heads in the right way smile.gif

QUOTE(BigBadLou @ Apr 22 2013, 09:55 AM) *
Welcome to the club. party.gif

It seems that the club popularity is picking up again (we had about a year of downtime) so let's keep the new members coming!

I can schedule a hang-out dinner or monthly breakfast again so that we can get to know the new members.
I am also up north but my 3rdgen ('91 Z28 convertible) is currently sitting in the garage, sanded down, awaiting a paint job (IF I can find a painter).

Tex, did you feel like suping up the V6 to breathe fire and kick V8's ass or will you be dropping in a bigger motor?

Lou

+Quote Post
BigBadLou
post Apr 22 2013, 04:04 PM
Post #4

Electrical Guru

Hmm, would you choose a carb setup for the turbos or EFI? Both are doable.
If you want to go the single-turbo way, I got one sitting on the shelf. It's from a 6L so it would fit a 400 block nicely. thumbupwink.gif
If you need a carb, I also have a Holley, 4-barrel 650, IIRC. It's sitting on the shelf again, collecting dust. I got actually 2 of them, the other one is for spare parts.
And if you are looking for a tree-fiddy, I got a good block sitting in my garage, taking up space. Come and get it. It's been passed down from ATGO member to ATGO member. Maybe you can finally give it a good purpose.
Have you thought of LS engines? Not very easy to make fit in our cars but again, doable. Not trying to convert you at all, just curious if you considered that option.
A stealth bomber, btw, would have to have a very quiet muffler at low rpm. I've heard some that sound almost like a V6 but when you stomp on it, the beast awakens. smile.gif I can find out what brand/model it is, if interested.

Btw, your Firebird tail lights would be perfectly suited for sequential turn signals (STS). I make the sequencers so if you are interested, you can get one at ATGO-member discount. I even have translucent red paint to mask off the little amber turn signal sections.

Don't forget to post some pictures of your car. If you don't have a photo account elsewhere, we have a picture gallery here (link on main page, in the left menu). I can approve your registration.

Lou

--------------------

+Quote Post
CockneyTex
post Apr 22 2013, 05:38 PM
Post #5

ATGO Post-Lazy

Lou, you got a deal on that block Mate, for sure I would love to take it off your hands.

LOL the stealth might be in the looks rather than the noise, however my buddy has a Corvette C6 that has a system with a radio controlled muffler that opens and closes via remote control, so closed it sounds like an old lady grocery getter, then press it open and it sounds like a NASCAR...

I have been looking at LS engines, Id like to go FI, and was considering using a later LS variant motor with engine MGT etc, but I really want to take time and build the engine, but I really would love to take that block of yours and that carb, maybe Ill start simple, old school and down the line go FI.

And yes Im interested in the sequential signals smile.gif

I have the (before pics ) of her as she sits today I would love to post.

I was planning on making a blog of the build too so will post that here as I get that rolling.

But yes on the block and yes on the carb, I think that helps me make that decision on the way im going engine wise at least smile.gif

QUOTE(BigBadLou @ Apr 22 2013, 04:04 PM) *
Hmm, would you choose a carb setup for the turbos or EFI? Both are doable.
If you want to go the single-turbo way, I got one sitting on the shelf. It's from a 6L so it would fit a 400 block nicely. thumbupwink.gif
If you need a carb, I also have a Holley, 4-barrel 650, IIRC. It's sitting on the shelf again, collecting dust. I got actually 2 of them, the other one is for spare parts.
And if you are looking for a tree-fiddy, I got a good block sitting in my garage, taking up space. Come and get it. It's been passed down from ATGO member to ATGO member. Maybe you can finally give it a good purpose.
Have you thought of LS engines? Not very easy to make fit in our cars but again, doable. Not trying to convert you at all, just curious if you considered that option.
A stealth bomber, btw, would have to have a very quiet muffler at low rpm. I've heard some that sound almost like a V6 but when you stomp on it, the beast awakens. smile.gif I can find out what brand/model it is, if interested.

Btw, your Firebird tail lights would be perfectly suited for sequential turn signals (STS). I make the sequencers so if you are interested, you can get one at ATGO-member discount. I even have translucent red paint to mask off the little amber turn signal sections.

Don't forget to post some pictures of your car. If you don't have a photo account elsewhere, we have a picture gallery here (link on main page, in the left menu). I can approve your registration.

Lou

+Quote Post
BigBadLou
post Apr 22 2013, 10:24 PM
Post #6

Electrical Guru

Hi JT,
if you would like to stop by sometime after work this week (I will probably be out tomorrow night, though), let me know. It would be nice to meet a new member and you can look at the block (or take it too) and we can shoot some breeze (to speak like an American smile.gif ).

I approved your gallery registration, you are good to go. Post up some pictures.

The block is free, no charge. And we can definitely agree on a price for the carbs.

Lou

--------------------

+Quote Post
CockneyTex
post Apr 22 2013, 10:52 PM
Post #7

ATGO Post-Lazy

Awesome, thank you Lou, I really appreciate it. Yeah Weds will probably be good for me too, or thurs, either way Im flexible, I appreciate your kind offer, so I will defer to your time constraints.

My head is spinning I have been doing so much reading tonight, the differing opinions have confused the crap out of me, man there is a lot of dissent on 350's and what to do with them LOL...

But I'm thinking def. 350, either carb or low cost TBI to start, and go from there. As the old girl is an 85 I believe its emissions check free is that correct ?, if I stick a different Engine in her, how does that play, I guess I will bug you on that later wink.gif

Thanks again, will post up some pics and come see you in a couple of days.

All the best.

JT

QUOTE(BigBadLou @ Apr 22 2013, 10:24 PM) *
Hi JT,
if you would like to stop by sometime after work this week (I will probably be out tomorrow night, though), let me know. It would be nice to meet a new member and you can look at the block (or take it too) and we can shoot some breeze (to speak like an American smile.gif ).

I approved your gallery registration, you are good to go. Post up some pictures.

The block is free, no charge. And we can definitely agree on a price for the carbs.

Lou

+Quote Post
BigBadLou
post Apr 22 2013, 11:12 PM
Post #8

Electrical Guru

I am flexible too so if you want, we can play it by ear. I am online most of the day, especially during office hours so I am pretty responsive to PMs and such.

I know what you mean about your head spinning. Information overload, right? smile.gif
No worries, I can probably help to answer some questions you have.

If you want to go TBI, I have a 350 TBI intake and a few throttle bodies. lol.gif I have a lot of parts, feel free to ask. Just don't ask for a running Chevy! roflmao.gif
We can discuss emissions too. If you put TBI in the car, you should have no problems if it looks right. Often, the technicians don't even know what engine they're looking at. But if you do happen to get unlucky and get a tech who's a stickler to the detail, he could fail you. So a friendly inspection station is a plus for a peace of mind.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Apr 23 2013, 09:52 PM
Post #9

ATGO Addict

Member No.: 97

Tech Writer

If you have the standard Firebird tail lights with the amber sections & wanted to swap them out for some GTA tail lights, I have 2 sets of those in great condition.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

Harwood Cowl Induction hood~4th gen rear wing~Ground Control Weight Jacks front & rear~180 deg thermostat~TSP Rumbler Magnaflow cat-back~UMI rod ended LCAs & PHB~275/315 17" ROH Snypers~"custom" CAI~Alson SFCs~IROC Wonderbar~UMI Billet tie rod adjusters~Sylvania Silver Star headlights & fog lights (fog light shield removed~Fogs w/Highs on mod

2" shackle drop rear~Volant CAI~Dynomax 39310 Ultra Flow Cat-back~JVC single DIN USB port deck~Duplicolor exterior paint matched interior pieces

+Quote Post
CockneyTex
post Apr 23 2013, 10:20 PM
Post #10

ATGO Post-Lazy

QUOTE(Stephen @ Apr 23 2013, 09:52 PM) *
If you have the standard Firebird tail lights with the amber sections & wanted to swap them out for some GTA tail lights, I have 2 sets of those in great condition.

I Might take you up on those, I have the 85 lined style, which I like but mine are tired and will need replacing.

+Quote Post
BigBadLou
post Apr 23 2013, 10:35 PM
Post #11

Electrical Guru

JT, that would look great on the Firebird. You will need to switch one wire under the steering column to accommodate them but I can help with that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CockneyTex
post Apr 24 2013, 09:19 AM
Post #12

ATGO Post-Lazy

QUOTE(BigBadLou @ Apr 23 2013, 10:35 PM) *
JT, that would look great on the Firebird. You will need to switch one wire under the steering column to accommodate them but I can help with that.

Yeah I agree they will look great and fir with the style I'm heading. I plan on modernizing the car into a discreet resto mod, those light clusters will look great.

So yes Steven, I will be interested, please PM me let me know how much you want for a pair.

Thanks

Jason

+Quote Post
LT1BRD
post Apr 25 2013, 08:52 AM
Post #13

ATGO Regular

Member No.: 431

I've got a magnaglow muffler and high flow cat behind a 350 LT1. It's real quiet...especially around here where everyone has straight pipes from motor back on their 4th gens. I also have an electric cutout, so I can push a button and have open headers. I'm happy with this setup. I think the cutout is a DMH... There were two popular brands, QTP and this one. My car was a 2.8L to start with, and still looks like one. Good luck on your project.

+Quote Post
CockneyTex
post Apr 25 2013, 09:33 AM
Post #14

ATGO Post-Lazy

QUOTE(LT1BRD @ Apr 25 2013, 08:52 AM) *
I've got a magnaglow muffler and high flow cat behind a 350 LT1. It's real quiet...especially around here where everyone has straight pipes from motor back on their 4th gens. I also have an electric cutout, so I can push a button and have open headers. I'm happy with this setup. I think the cutout is a DMH... There were two popular brands, QTP and this one. My car was a 2.8L to start with, and still looks like one. Good luck on your project.

Thanks, I think that might be what my buddy has on his vette, its like a v6 with the thing turned on, but open it up and it scares small children and old ladies smile.gif

Yeah, thats what Im aiming for, I want a stealth car, yes it will be upgraded in places so it wont be a stock v6 looker, but it will be discreet enough that they wont know whats under it until I open her up, so I'm going to avoid hoods bulges and scoops etc, try and stay pretty stock body wise barring cosmetics such as lights and some trim.

Will keep you all posted, I'm really glad I found this place, already had great, very generous help from a couple of members and it will be awesome to have folks who have been there done that local That I can bounce things off as i go through the process.,

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2019 - 09:26 PM