> Capacitor and Wiring Size
ScrapMaker
post Dec 22 2006, 10:25 AM
Post #21

ATGO Frequent

Group: Members
Member No.: 14

(StevenK";p="29779)
I didn't mean to say that I condone the use or purchase of a Cap.  I did mean however to say that they do what they say they are supposed to, and thats keep your headlights from dimming.

And yes, if you keep a constant bass tone that is loud enough to overpower the alt and battery, yes the lights will then start to dim again, but seriously, who has a system that can do that?

My system was only able to draw enough power to dimm the lights for short periods of time, any constant tones would have no affect.  So in my case, the cap was perfect.  No need to install a 2nd battery, bigger alt, etc, unless you really need it.

You're right, in most cases, a bigger alternator, or battery is not necessary...  I had over 1,800RMS watts in my last car, and I had the stock alternator... the wiring is seriously the biggest deal... go with at least something as thick as a wine bottle cork...

my lights used to dim, but I upgraded from 4AWG to 0/1 and it all went away...  I only upgraded to a Yellowtop later, because I killed my stock battery (it was the original delco so it was going to die anyways.)

--------------------

2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - Completely Stock

1990 Pontiac Firebird - Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cdoyle
post Nov 10 2007, 09:45 PM
Post #22

ATGO Post-Lazy

Group: Members
Member No.: 210

Most people believe that a Cap is the answer to all their problems, but they fail to realize that what they are doing is actually adding another load on an already strained electrical system.

Here is a great article written by one of our mods at Car Audio Central, it really breaks down what a cap can and cannot do.
http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1888

Oh man, I just realized this thread is old!! Oh well, I'll go ahead and post it since the info could be useful to someone else.

--------------------
If you need help with anything Car Audio, please visit Car Audio Central
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th September 2019 - 08:42 AM