> Second Annual Texas State Gathering, 2011
Rating 5 V
rob
post Jan 10 2011, 12:36 PM
Post #41

ATGO Post-Lazy

Group: Members
Member No.: 715

I would love to make a bigger event out of the meet. I am all for that...

As for my spot... I will know by tonight or tomorrow. I have a lot going on right now with personal stuff but I need to start making some time for myself before I go nuts.
The spot I am talking about is only fit for about 45 cars at the most. So if we are planning on a bigger than last year turn out this may not work. I dont care if we charge for the trophy stuff... entry fee would be what?

Dukes food was okay. As long as its not hot. A park is a better idea. Im sorry but having a BBQ with water near by beats eating there and then driving somewhere else.

I think the town lake idea is cool... so would be the georgetown park idea Steven had.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jan 10 2011, 12:47 PM
Post #42

ATGO Addict

Member No.: 97

Tech Writer

QUOTE(rob @ Jan 10 2011, 11:36 AM) *
I would love to make a bigger event out of the meet. I am all for that...

As for my spot... I will know by tonight or tomorrow. I have a lot going on right now with personal stuff but I need to start making some time for myself before I go nuts.
The spot I am talking about is only fit for about 45 cars at the most. So if we are planning on a bigger than last year turn out this may not work. I dont care if we charge for the trophy stuff... entry fee would be what?

Dukes food was okay. As long as its not hot. A park is a better idea. Im sorry but having a BBQ with water near by beats eating there and then driving somewhere else.

I think the town lake idea is cool... so would be the georgetown park idea Steven had.

The Georgetown park is under 2min away. Lots of shade, so not far at all. Parking for 45 shouldn't be too bad & we can get creative to pack in a few more cars, just not another 45! lol.gif

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

Harwood Cowl Induction hood~4th gen rear wing~Ground Control Weight Jacks front & rear~180 deg thermostat~TSP Rumbler Magnaflow cat-back~UMI rod ended LCAs & PHB~275/315 17" ROH Snypers~"custom" CAI~Alson SFCs~IROC Wonderbar~UMI Billet tie rod adjusters~Sylvania Silver Star headlights & fog lights (fog light shield removed~Fogs w/Highs on mod

2" shackle drop rear~Volant CAI~Dynomax 39310 Ultra Flow Cat-back~JVC single DIN USB port deck~Duplicolor exterior paint matched interior pieces

+Quote Post
58mark
post Jan 10 2011, 12:48 PM
Post #43

ATGO Frequent

Member No.: 659

I'm all for having a scenic location, one with shade...but if we are going to consider having anything on private land and forget about dukes,..

The question that has to be addressed, and nobody, including me, has a good answer for, is where is any food for the day going to come from?
BYOeverything?
Cater?
BBQ ourselves?
sponsorship money to buy food ahead of time?
Rich benefactor?
or do we just forget food, and if somebody gets hungry we say... "arby's is down the street, have a good time"

--------------------

+Quote Post
58mark
post Jan 10 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #44

ATGO Frequent

QUOTE(Stephen @ Jan 10 2011, 12:47 PM) *
The Georgetown park is under 2min away. Lots of shade, so not far at all. Parking for 45 shouldn't be too bad & we can get creative to pack in a few more cars, just not another 45! lol.gif

of course if it's anything like last year, 90 will say they are coming and 45 will show up

--------------------

+Quote Post
rob
post Jan 10 2011, 01:06 PM
Post #45

ATGO Post-Lazy

QUOTE(58mark @ Jan 10 2011, 12:49 PM) *
of course if it's anything like last year, 90 will say they are coming and 45 will show up

Lol - just my luck they all show this year.

Catering works. But then we are back to charging for admission. Unless someone wants to foot the bill. lol
BBQ works, given we have someone go shopping before hand with coordinated shopping skills and some cash prepaid.

The only thing I can see being an issue is if more cars show up than planned. I am going to release the details of the location privately after I talk to them. I dont think its going to be a problem, just want to give them that respect.

If not, the park 2mins from dukes works for me. I think we need to get back to basics here first. How big are we going to go this year? If we want a huge outcome, which I think we do - then we should forget a private lot. What are we doing here?

+Quote Post
58mark
post Jan 10 2011, 01:12 PM
Post #46

ATGO Frequent

QUOTE(rob @ Jan 10 2011, 01:06 PM) *
Lol - just my luck they all show this year.

Catering works. But then we are back to charging for admission. Unless someone wants to foot the bill. lol
BBQ works, given we have someone go shopping before hand with coordinated shopping skills and some cash prepaid.

The only thing I can see being an issue is if more cars show up than planned. I am going to release the details of the location privately after I talk to them. I dont think its going to be a problem, just want to give them that respect.

If not, the park 2mins from dukes works for me. I think we need to get back to basics here first. How big are we going to go this year? If we want a huge outcome, which I think we do - then we should forget a private lot. What are we doing here?

obviously I think we should shoot for the largest 3rdgen crown we can get. when we outgrow dukes and have a track record, then it will be easier to get corporate funding to allow us to grow to a different location

one thing I think should be considered is a location at a hotel with a large parking lot, that also happens to be near a few restaurants. That way you have food and comfort, but you also have the ability to plan more events, and stretch it to a two day event.
One thing about Having it at Dukes was we planned it at a time that we knew the parking lot would be empty. Have it at a hotel, and you can plan a longer day with more events.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rob
post Jan 10 2011, 01:22 PM
Post #47

ATGO Post-Lazy

QUOTE(58mark @ Jan 10 2011, 01:12 PM) *
obviously I think we should shoot for the largest 3rdgen crown we can get. when we outgrow dukes and have a track record, then it will be easier to get corporate funding to allow us to grow to a different location

one thing I think should be considered is a location at a hotel with a large parking lot, that also happens to be near a few restaurants. That way you have food and comfort, but you also have the ability to plan more events, and stretch it to a two day event.
One thing about Having it at Dukes was we planned it at a time that we knew the parking lot would be empty. Have it at a hotel, and you can plan a longer day with more events.

Sounds good to me then. I was under the impression this was mainly an Austin meet... my bad. We need to combine Dallas and Houston then, which then I ask - Why do they have a meet when were in the middle and they want a bigger turnout as well? Sorry if im playing catch up guys... I try to be more of a part of this stuff but lately im helping a parent with cancer.

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jan 10 2011, 01:52 PM
Post #48

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

QUOTE(rob @ Jan 10 2011, 12:22 PM) *
Sounds good to me then. I was under the impression this was mainly an Austin meet... my bad. We need to combine Dallas and Houston then, which then I ask - Why do they have a meet when were in the middle and they want a bigger turnout as well? Sorry if im playing catch up guys... I try to be more of a part of this stuff but lately im helping a parent with cancer.

You forget the title of this thread? "Second Annual TEXAS STATE Gathering"? That pretty much implies it is for the whole state not just Austin. We had people from Amarillo to Houston & everywhere in-between come last year.

Of course, anyone from anywhere is welcome to come, even from out-of-state, if they wanna come.

2010 TGO thread

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

Harwood Cowl Induction hood~4th gen rear wing~Ground Control Weight Jacks front & rear~180 deg thermostat~TSP Rumbler Magnaflow cat-back~UMI rod ended LCAs & PHB~275/315 17" ROH Snypers~"custom" CAI~Alson SFCs~IROC Wonderbar~UMI Billet tie rod adjusters~Sylvania Silver Star headlights & fog lights (fog light shield removed~Fogs w/Highs on mod

2" shackle drop rear~Volant CAI~Dynomax 39310 Ultra Flow Cat-back~JVC single DIN USB port deck~Duplicolor exterior paint matched interior pieces

+Quote Post
rob
post Jan 10 2011, 01:57 PM
Post #49

ATGO Post-Lazy

QUOTE(Stephen @ Jan 10 2011, 01:52 PM) *
You forget the title of this thread? "Second Annual TEXAS STATE Gathering"? That pretty much implies it is for the whole state not just Austin. We had people from Amarillo to Houston & everywhere in-between come last year.

Of course, anyone from anywhere is welcome to come, even from out-of-state, if they wanna come.

2010 TGO thread

Yes I know the title and I was there last year. I do remember a few from out of town. This still leaves my question remaining, why is there a meet in every city if this is the big kahuna?

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jan 10 2011, 02:10 PM
Post #50

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

Here is how close the park is to Duke's.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

+Quote Post
58mark
post Jan 10 2011, 02:28 PM
Post #51

ATGO Frequent

QUOTE(rob @ Jan 10 2011, 01:57 PM) *
Yes I know the title and I was there last year. I do remember a few from out of town. This still leaves my question remaining, why is there a meet in every city if this is the big kahuna?

Sometimes we get tired of looking at the same cars in our own cities, and like meeting new people and seeing new cars. Austin was picked because the populations of all the major cities in texas can get there in less than 3 hours.

of course, that didnt stop the houston guys from compaining....

--------------------

+Quote Post
58mark
post Jan 10 2011, 04:34 PM
Post #52

ATGO Frequent

R
QUOTE(58mark @ Jan 9 2011, 06:05 PM) *
I'm willing to purchase a domain name and design a website to help us promote this and future events. Witha website we can get the event listed on websites that list car shows, and make promotion much easier

here's some names that are available....

these first two have the advantage of not seeming regional

thirdGenGathering.com
3rdGenGathering.com

if we want to make it regional, we have to decide on what the region is... broadening it might encourage others from OK, LA, and AR to attend

southcentral3rdGens.com
Texas3rdGens.com
3rdGensofTexas.com

this one is a little different, but I kind of like it...

8292thirds.com
couple more with a regional theme

3rdGenRoundup.com
ThirdGenRoundup.com
ok, feedback time!

Ok guys, I was serious. If we are going to have a website, we need to pick a domain name that we want to use in association with this gathering for years to come. there are things I like about every one of those names above, so I can't pick my favorite, amd wouldnt want to.
tell me which ones you like, and why, or come up with more options

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jan 10 2011, 05:05 PM
Post #53

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

QUOTE(58mark @ Jan 9 2011, 05:05 PM) *
I'm willing to purchase a domain name and design a website to help us promote this and future events. Witha website we can get the event listed on websites that list car shows, and make promotion much easier

here's some names that are available....

these first two have the advantage of not seeming regional

thirdGenGathering.com
3rdGenGathering.com

if we want to make it regional, we have to decide on what the region is... broadening it might encourage others from OK, LA, and AR to attend

southcentral3rdGens.com
Texas3rdGens.com
3rdGensofTexas.com

this one is a little different, but I kind of like it...

8292thirds.com
couple more with a regional theme

3rdGenRoundup.com
ThirdGenRoundup.com
ok, feedback time!

I think we need to use something easily to connect to our 3rd gen world. With 3rdGen or ThirdGen in the name. And Texas, if we mainly aren't aiming for South Central Region, just Texas.

With that said, my thoughts on them:

Good for a Texas Gathering.....
ThirdGenRoundUp.com
3rdGenRoundUp.com
Texas3rdGens.com <-- Gets my vote or TexasThirdGens.com, but I prefer the 3rdgen version. Or Texas3rdGenGathering.com? Without 'Gathering', it could try to turn into a TexasTGO.org.

Not bad, but......
8292birds.com <--Good for a national site like TGO, not just a Gathering

Good if we took it Regional not just Texas
southcentral3rdGens.com

Both good for National Gathering.....
thirdGenGathering.com
3rdGenGathering.com

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

+Quote Post
58mark
post Jan 10 2011, 06:45 PM
Post #54

ATGO Frequent

QUOTE(Stephen @ Jan 10 2011, 05:05 PM) *
Good for a Texas Gathering.....
ThirdGenRoundUp.com
3rdGenRoundUp.com
Texas3rdGens.com <-- Gets my vote or TexasThirdGens.com, but I prefer the 3rdgen version. Or Texas3rdGenGathering.com? Without 'Gathering', it could try to turn into a TexasTGO.org.

You've hit on my favorites here...
I like the word roundup because it does two things... it conveys a regional atmosphere without alienating any of those who would interested in the event, but might get put off by thinking it's for Texans only. it's easy to carry the theme too far, until it's a corny sheplers characture of itself, but it can be done right

Of course the two others are good, I lean toward spelling out third because that's the way that most regional and national groups do it, I can't think of any place that uses the numerical spelling

as far as TexasTGO.org... i smiled at that one because the O already stands for ORG, as in the domain name, but for our uses it could actually stand for Organization, and in that case I would want to use dot com, not dot org, so it doesn't sound like we are stuttering... biggrin.gif

OK, there's more of my thoughts... I still want to hear more... everybody help us narrow these down!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jan 10 2011, 08:15 PM
Post #55

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

Here is the link on TGO & I update the first post in this thread with the link.
Second Annual Texas Statewide Gathering, 2011

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

+Quote Post
StevenK
post Jan 11 2011, 11:10 AM
Post #56

LS1 Powered 91Z28

Group: Founder
Member No.: 5

Tech Writer Lending a hand award Donation award

ATGO can always host the website if ya'll want. You can even use a custom domain if you want (I'm not paying for it, I can barely afford to keep this site up), or I can just give you a sub-domain live statewide.austinthirdgen.org or something like that for free. Either way I've got plenty of space/bandwidth to host for this.

Again, I'm putting my opinion, we need to concentrate on keeping this free, so no catering or anything like that. If we don't go somewhere with food, we need to make a food list and have people sign up to bring some food or drinks as their "admission"

--------------------
1991 Z-28 - LS1 & T-56 Swap - 4.10 4th Gen Rear
ARE Stage 1 Heads - 2.02" intake, 1.57" exhaust, Comp 918 Springs
Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft - 224/224 .563/.563 114 LSA
Head Flow Sheet

+Quote Post
flu_by_u
post Jan 11 2011, 11:34 AM
Post #57

1989 Firebird Formula 350 5.7L TPI

Member No.: 376

QUOTE(StevenK @ Jan 11 2011, 11:10 AM) *
ATGO can always host the website if ya'll want. You can even use a custom domain if you want (I'm not paying for it, I can barely afford to keep this site up), or I can just give you a sub-domain live statewide.austinthirdgen.org or something like that for free. Either way I've got plenty of space/bandwidth to host for this.

Again, I'm putting my opinion, we need to concentrate on keeping this free, so no catering or anything like that. If we don't go somewhere with food, we need to make a food list and have people sign up to bring some food or drinks as their "admission"

Agreed!

--------------------
-AKA R.J.-

+Quote Post
58mark
post Jan 11 2011, 11:36 AM
Post #58

ATGO Frequent

QUOTE(StevenK @ Jan 11 2011, 11:10 AM) *

thanks, bandwidth isn't a problem.. I've got so much of it through the websites I already have through bizland, I've got it to burn.

give me your opinions on what name you like the best

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jan 11 2011, 12:44 PM
Post #59

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

QUOTE(StevenK @ Jan 11 2011, 10:10 AM) *

The only difference between Dukes catering or eating at Dukes, would be pre-paying or paying at Dukes. Slight difference in choosing what people get, but we've already settled on eating at Dukes like last year. Only real difference is cooler weather, by changing the date, and going to the park for more shade after eating. I might get the Reserved Parking Lot over there for us, so that we aren't scattered into 1 long line, side by side, with park goers mixed in here & there among our cars.

Mark is handling the website portion, so I'll let him decide on that.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

+Quote Post
58mark
post Jan 15 2011, 06:12 PM
Post #60

ATGO Frequent

I've built the site for this gathering and hopefully future gatherings... please check it out, and let me know if you think anything needs to be changed before we "Go live" on the official TGO thread

thanks
Mark

http://thirdgenroundup.com/

--------------------

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2019 - 09:11 AM