Reply to this topicStart new topic
> heritage stripes
58mark
post Jul 13 2011, 09:39 AM
Post #1

ATGO Frequent

Group: Members
Member No.: 659

This is mainly for stephen, but if anybody else has any suggestions, I'm listening

I bought a set of vinyl heritage stripes, but they didn't come with any instructions. I was nervous about installing them, but then I saw this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TywC4HdzPE8

will you look it over and see, in your experience, if there is anything you would do differently? any more tips or tricks?

also what's the story on that rapd tac stuff? Is it worth the extra money, or should I stick with water and baby shampoo?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jul 17 2011, 12:16 PM
Post #2

ATGO Addict

Member No.: 97

Tech Writer

I've been out of graphics since '04 & never heard of Rapid Tac. It may be a marketing toy that works, but not significantly better than water, soap & a good set of eyes & hands. Or it may be great stuff. Not a clue.

I will say this so.....If it is as really thin as the OEM stuff I say STOP. Pay to have it done. I did a 78 (ish) TA one time with an OEM hood 'bird. I THOUGHT I was doing. I did do it successfully, but I swore never again. I damn near ruined a $400 piece just because I "knew" I knew what I was doing. I say that because it does look like OEM stuff which makes me think of the really thin (but strong) OEM stuff.

I prefer lining it up perfectly, using tape on 1 end as a hinge, but on a long piece like that it is not the best idea since if you are off a bit one the last end, the rest is too "stuck" to adjust it. At least starting from the middle you are only dealing with half of the material at once & the possibility of it laying down off position.

You don't have a cowl hood do you? Or you got one now? Doing the contour down the side with the different height proportions of the rise of the scoop is not something I would do even with the aftermarket vinyl I used.

Call me a skeptic, but I bet there are several details he left out in his video, especially for the scoop side portion. He made it look simple, by leaving out the hard stuff. After all....A customer messes it up, what are they gonna do? Possibly buy ANOTHER set, Good for his wallet, not yours.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

Harwood Cowl Induction hood~4th gen rear wing~Ground Control Weight Jacks front & rear~180 deg thermostat~TSP Rumbler Magnaflow cat-back~UMI rod ended LCAs & PHB~275/315 17" ROH Snypers~"custom" CAI~Alson SFCs~IROC Wonderbar~UMI Billet tie rod adjusters~Sylvania Silver Star headlights & fog lights (fog light shield removed~Fogs w/Highs on mod

2" shackle drop rear~Volant CAI~Dynomax 39310 Ultra Flow Cat-back~JVC single DIN USB port deck~Duplicolor exterior paint matched interior pieces

+Quote Post
58mark
post Jul 17 2011, 03:43 PM
Post #3

ATGO Frequent

thanks

I just have the flat, boring RS hood. nothing fancy. I already have the stripes, so I'm not out anything if I mess them up. Worse case scenerio... I make a template of the stripes before I put them on, try to put them on, and if I mess them up, I'll just buy some satin black paint and paint them on

I'm pretty sure I can do it, but that rapid tac stuff was something I had never heard of before either. I was planinng on making my own solution, and I guess that's still the plan

After all I'm doing to this car, including prepping and painting it myself, it just wouldn't seem right paying somebody else to put on stripes...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jul 17 2011, 05:58 PM
Post #4

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

If you were closer I'd be glad to put them on with you. You've got the long arms to reach across the hood & do them, Could even hang it up like a wall & do it vertically. If it was off anyways, that would be a good time to do it, but not take it off JUST for the stripes.

Flat hood will definitely make it easier. But if your painting yours anyways, why not just paint them on? Use them as your pattern for the stripes but resell them towards $ for the car.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

Harwood Cowl Induction hood~4th gen rear wing~Ground Control Weight Jacks front & rear~180 deg thermostat~TSP Rumbler Magnaflow cat-back~UMI rod ended LCAs & PHB~275/315 17" ROH Snypers~"custom" CAI~Alson SFCs~IROC Wonderbar~UMI Billet tie rod adjusters~Sylvania Silver Star headlights & fog lights (fog light shield removed~Fogs w/Highs on mod

2" shackle drop rear~Volant CAI~Dynomax 39310 Ultra Flow Cat-back~JVC single DIN USB port deck~Duplicolor exterior paint matched interior pieces

+Quote Post
58mark
post Jul 17 2011, 07:39 PM
Post #5

ATGO Frequent

QUOTE(Stephen @ Jul 17 2011, 05:58 PM) *
If you were closer I'd be glad to put them on with you. You've got the long arms to reach across the hood & do them, Could even hang it up like a wall & do it vertically. If it was off anyways, that would be a good time to do it, but not take it off JUST for the stripes.

Flat hood will definitely make it easier. But if your painting yours anyways, why not just paint them on? Use them as your pattern for the stripes but resell them towards $ for the car.

thought about that too....still might do it. it's just a pain taping off the stripes, and I'm not confident in my abilities to make heritage stripes,even with a pattern to go by. so if I did it i'd do a stripe patern similar to what I have now, but I would stop short of the edge of the hood.

First choice... heritage stripes
second choice... paint something like this

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jul 17 2011, 10:54 PM
Post #6

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

If you tape & paint them? IMHO, round the corners off. Or take the stripe off the end of the hood but not onto thde fascia. Just off the end of the hod. That is how we did Crystal's vinyl stripes on her5 Camaro before the whole car got a color change & painted on stripes. The we went full length stripes w/no pinstripe.

Later it got a full color change repaint & she went with full-length painted stripes. I kinda liked what she decided on. smile.gif

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

+Quote Post
BlackBetty
post Jul 17 2011, 11:13 PM
Post #7

ATGO Frequent

Member No.: 499

Full length stripes are definitely the way to go!

~JAKE

--------------------
Searching for my other horses...

+Quote Post
58mark
post Jul 18 2011, 06:58 AM
Post #8

ATGO Frequent

QUOTE(Stephen @ Jul 17 2011, 10:54 PM) *

that's basically how they are now. I like the look of the stripe stopping short before the edge of the hood. If I can't get it right, I'll just redo it the way it is now

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2019 - 07:16 PM