Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MP3 adapter cable
Eddy
post May 12 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #1

Fabricator

Group: Members
Member No.: 272

Searching for a new head unit last night with an aux plug for my MP3 player I found an adapter plug for Pioneer head units. It plugs into the socket for the cd changer on the back of the HU. The plugs cost $35!!! Searching around for a cheaper adapter plug I found a sight that had instructions on how to make one and it even had the pin out for the HU. This only works on the Pioneers that control an externall cd changer, but I'm sure if you have another brand with that function you can make one too if you get the pin out for your HU.

I made mine this afternoon in about 5-10 minutes with parts I had at the house. It works GREAT. Now I don't have to pack around all the cd cases in the back seat anymore.

Here's the link: MP3 adapter

--------------------
1991 Firebird 355/WC T5/3.27 9 bolt. Edlebrock shorty headers, 3" pipe, Hookers Aero chamber, Full WS6 suspension transplant, Lakewood LCA's, UMI adjustable panhard bar, 4th gen power lumbar ebony leather, 4th gen console
Power everything

2000 Ford F-250 SuperDuty 7.3 diesel auto
2000 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4/auto
2011 Ford Explorer 3.5/auto
2006 Chevrolet Uplander 3.5/auto full of tool boxes
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stephen
post May 12 2008, 09:12 PM
Post #2

ATGO Addict

Member No.: 97

Tech Writer

I've been wanting a deck that has a USB plug in the front. Put all my music on a flash drive & I'm good to go! I never listen to broadcast radio, so I don't even need a real radio, just a MP3 player.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

Harwood Cowl Induction hood~4th gen rear wing~Ground Control Weight Jacks front & rear~180 deg thermostat~TSP Rumbler Magnaflow cat-back~UMI rod ended LCAs & PHB~275/315 17" ROH Snypers~"custom" CAI~Alson SFCs~IROC Wonderbar~UMI Billet tie rod adjusters~Sylvania Silver Star headlights & fog lights (fog light shield removed~Fogs w/Highs on mod

2" shackle drop rear~Volant CAI~Dynomax 39310 Ultra Flow Cat-back~JVC single DIN USB port deck~Duplicolor exterior paint matched interior pieces

+Quote Post
StevenK
post May 13 2008, 01:36 AM
Post #3

LS1 Powered 91Z28

Group: Founder
Member No.: 5

Tech Writer Lending a hand award Donation award

Wow 35....

Back before the whole ipod in a car craze, I spent 100 for a CDChanger to RCA adapter, that with a RCA to stereo minijack is how my ipod is hooked up

--------------------
1991 Z-28 - LS1 & T-56 Swap - 4.10 4th Gen Rear
ARE Stage 1 Heads - 2.02" intake, 1.57" exhaust, Comp 918 Springs
Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft - 224/224 .563/.563 114 LSA
Head Flow Sheet

+Quote Post
talanthalus
post May 20 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #4

ATGO Frequent

Member No.: 165

I was looking for a stereo with the USB plug and ended up with a Pioneer that had the capability, but it also has a direct iPod connection to control and charge the iPod. It has worked out nicely. The other alternative I just installed into the 92 Daytona is an RF Modulator to connect the iPod through the factory stereo via the antenna. It isn't the perfect solution in the long run, but for $49 and the cable I already had, it is working well enough for my purposes now. Fortunately, I had a $25 Best Buy gift card and this was the only thing they had I really wanted.

If anyone chooses to go that route (to hard-wire into the antenna rather than using a practically useless FM Transmitter), go straight to the installation bay and ask for it, because the rest of the people in the store are not going to be helpful at all...

+Quote Post
Eddy
post May 20 2008, 08:34 PM
Post #5

Fabricator

This little plug I made was FREE using parts I had at home. It's been working great, no problems so far.

--------------------
1991 Firebird 355/WC T5/3.27 9 bolt. Edlebrock shorty headers, 3" pipe, Hookers Aero chamber, Full WS6 suspension transplant, Lakewood LCA's, UMI adjustable panhard bar, 4th gen power lumbar ebony leather, 4th gen console
Power everything

+Quote Post
Heritage Z
post Jul 7 2008, 09:21 AM
Post #6

ATGO Frequent

Member No.: 313

QUOTE(Cranford @ May 12 2008, 11:12 PM) *
I've been wanting a deck that has a USB plug in the front. Put all my music on a flash drive & I'm good to go! I never listen to broadcast radio, so I don't even need a real radio, just a MP3 player.

Kenwood and JVC have a few models with a usb plug on the face. Some of the new Pioneer models coming out will have them also.

--------------------
Jeff K.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
92 Z28 - 25th anniv Heritage Edition - Way too many mods to list. SOLD
04 Cadillac CTS - black on black, 20x8.5" Royale wheels, Eibach Pro-kit, more...
01 Supercharged Tahoe LT 12.85@105.9 (before new gears and updated pcm tune) on street tires and in full street trim @ 6000lbs -6.0 LQ9 swap, Intercooled radix s/c @ 10 lbs boost, Lingenfelter cam, LT Headers, true duals, BB pcm tune, Performabuilt Pro-Race trans, Eaton True-Trac and 4.56 gears, 24x10 wheels, 3/5 drop, LOTS more

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jul 7 2008, 10:44 AM
Post #7

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

Blaupunkt has a AM/FM tuner, no CD player one with a SD card slot on it, & is on the face, so you cab simply stab in it & go. I like that better than carrying CDs anyways. And it has a 35mm plug in the front, that I guess could be used for iPod input. And an optional USB adapter accessory input. And built-in CD Changer controls, if you wanna play CDs.

Blaukpunkt Melbourne SD27

I haven't seen it locally though, but haven't looked real hard either.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

Harwood Cowl Induction hood~4th gen rear wing~Ground Control Weight Jacks front & rear~180 deg thermostat~TSP Rumbler Magnaflow cat-back~UMI rod ended LCAs & PHB~275/315 17" ROH Snypers~"custom" CAI~Alson SFCs~IROC Wonderbar~UMI Billet tie rod adjusters~Sylvania Silver Star headlights & fog lights (fog light shield removed~Fogs w/Highs on mod

2" shackle drop rear~Volant CAI~Dynomax 39310 Ultra Flow Cat-back~JVC single DIN USB port deck~Duplicolor exterior paint matched interior pieces

+Quote Post
Heritage Z
post Jul 7 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #8

ATGO Frequent

QUOTE(Cranford @ Jul 7 2008, 12:44 PM) *
Blaupunkt has a AM/FM tuner, no CD player one with a SD card slot on it, & is on the face, so you cab simply stab in it & go. I like that better than carrying CDs anyways. And it has a 35mm plug in the front, that I guess could be used for iPod input. And an optional USB adapter accessory input. And built-in CD Changer controls, if you wanna play CDs.

Blaukpunkt Melbourne SD27

I haven't seen it locally though, but haven't looked real hard either.

Cool features, but it's still a Blaupunkt biggrin.gif

--------------------
Jeff K.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
04 Cadillac CTS - black on black, 20x8.5" Royale wheels, Eibach Pro-kit, more...
01 Supercharged Tahoe LT 12.85@105.9 (before new gears and updated pcm tune) on street tires and in full street trim @ 6000lbs -6.0 LQ9 swap, Intercooled radix s/c @ 10 lbs boost, Lingenfelter cam, LT Headers, true duals, BB pcm tune, Performabuilt Pro-Race trans, Eaton True-Trac and 4.56 gears, 24x10 wheels, 3/5 drop, LOTS more

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jul 21 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #9

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

QUOTE(Heritage Z @ Jul 7 2008, 10:46 PM) *

OK, Mr. Audio.. tongue.gif What SD card oe USB port (front face monted) one would you suggest? Alpine-style prices aren't in my wallet....

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

+Quote Post
BigBadLou
post Jul 22 2008, 09:18 AM
Post #10

Electrical Guru

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 7

Tech Writer Lending a Hand Donations award

QUOTE(Heritage Z @ Jul 7 2008, 11:46 PM) *

think.gif
You have a problem with Blaupunkt?? (pronounced Bl-ow-puh-nkt, not Blue-punk, btw)
It's one of the better manufacturers.
I had one as my first car radio and I owned it for 15 years (yes, FIFTEEN years). Didn't have a single problem.
But then again, I bought it in Europe and imported it to US myself so I KNOW that I got a good one from Germany. Maybe you have only experience with the Taiwanese exports that are manufactured for the US market? shrug.gif

Lou

--------------------
"People suck, life blows, now that's what I call equilibrium!"

+Quote Post
kewl_blades
post Jul 22 2008, 10:13 AM
Post #11

ATGO Yapper

Member No.: 8

During the 80's and 90's, it was a decent stereo for the price but since then the quality has suffered.

+Quote Post
BudlyUSA
post Jul 22 2008, 10:22 AM
Post #12

ATGO Regular

Member No.: 349

QUOTE(Cranford @ Jul 22 2008, 12:19 AM) *
OK, Mr. Audio.. tongue.gif What SD card oe USB port (front face monted) one would you suggest? Alpine-style prices aren't in my wallet....

I bought a Jensen recently.
Below is a pic of this years model.
USB plugs in front and SD card loads behine the faceplate.
They also come with cables for XM, serius and iPod controls.

I really like mine. I love being able to just plug in a USB stick and rock out.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jul 22 2008, 10:48 AM
Post #13

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

QUOTE(BudlyUSA @ Jul 22 2008, 10:22 AM) *
I bought a Jensen recently.
Below is a pic of this years model.
USB plugs in front and SD card loads behine the faceplate.
They also come with cables for XM, serius and iPod controls.

I really like mine. I love being able to just plug in a USB stick and rock out.

I saw it Saturday at the show & meant to ask you what it was, but forgot about it later... sad.gif

Does the faceplate flip down to access the SD port? Does it play discs too, or no?

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

+Quote Post
BudlyUSA
post Jul 22 2008, 12:27 PM
Post #14

ATGO Regular

Member No.: 349

QUOTE(Cranford @ Jul 22 2008, 11:48 AM) *
I saw it Saturday at the show & meant to ask you what it was, but forgot about it later... sad.gif

Does the faceplate flip down to access the SD port? Does it play discs too, or no?

Yes, the faceplate flips down to load (1) CD and SD card
I gt mine at walmart for $129

+Quote Post
Heritage Z
post Jul 29 2008, 01:03 AM
Post #15

ATGO Frequent

QUOTE(BigBabyLou @ Jul 22 2008, 11:18 AM) *
think.gif
You have a problem with Blaupunkt?? ....
Maybe you have only experience with the Taiwanese exports that are manufactured for the US market? shrug.gif

Lou

wink.gif My experience is actually from almost 17 yrs in the biz, so I tend to think I know a little something when it comes to car electronics, whether it be OEM or aftermarket. Blue dot makes decent equipment. They make the stereos that come OEM in a lot of German manufactured vehicles. It's the aesthetics that I don't care about in both their contracted OEM and aftermarket units, so it's really just a matter of personal taste. I'd rather have something that looks and performs more up to date. It took Bluapunkt a while to add features to their line up that a lot of other manufacturers already had, like I-pod control, parametric eq, SD, bt, etc. To me, Blaupunkt's equipment is TOO simple and cheesy looking. But, that's just me... For the money, you can get another good brand deck with some of Blaupunkt's lacking features already built-in. This particular unit is a low powered unit (which will lead to distortion when trying to listen at moderate to high levels), has no sub pre-outs, and isn't CEA compliant.
Sooo....Pioneer or Alpine for me.
C'mon Lou. Don't be offended. I'm half Korean, and I talk crap about KIA all the time biggrin.gif

--------------------
Jeff K.

+Quote Post
BigBadLou
post Jul 29 2008, 08:52 AM
Post #16

Electrical Guru

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 7

Tech Writer Lending a Hand Donations award

I see what you mean but that proves again that the Blaupunkt company doesn't give a crap about the USA market. lol.gif
In Europe, they are (or used to be, while I was there) actually a leading manufacturer, they made one of the first radios with RDS, the first radio with security cards, while others were still struggling with analog technology. smile.gif (Too bad RDS never caught on here, it's a good system)
If they lack iShit connections, who cares, it's not big in Europe at all. So that makes perfect sense to me. Instead of iShit, they have other connections, like for cellphones etc. I guess it depends on the continent you live on what kind of technology people use and desire.

It's like the kid who bought one of the new small Hondas in base model and was complaining: "where's the iShit connector?" roflmao.gif

I'd say, if you want American features, buy American products (that are made in China anyway lol.gif ).

Don't worry, I don't get easily offended, I often swear at Europeans too. wink.gif The EU is actually pissing a lot of people off with some of their nonsensical rules.

Lou

P.S.: Btw, I know what you mean about the styling. But that's just a matter of personal preference. I can't say I loved the look of my radio 100% but then again, I picked it for its features: wafer, RDS, CD-changer input & controls, AUX input, AUX output .... and all that in the early 90's!!!

--------------------
"People suck, life blows, now that's what I call equilibrium!"

+Quote Post
Eddy
post Jul 29 2008, 07:56 PM
Post #17

Fabricator

I have Blaupunkt speakers in the stock locations in my car. Originally, when I got my car I was just going to throw a cheap stereo system in it (the stock setup was dead) and sell it. I paid $15 for the 4x6's and $20 for the 6x9's at Fry's. I've never had any of their stuff before since I've always bought Kenwood, Alpine, or Pioneer. I've had the cheapos in for almost 2 years and the passenger 6x9 just started rattling yesterday morning. They've held up pretty good but this time around I'm getting the good stuff again.

As far as the Blaupunkt head units, I would never buy one. They might have decent features, but they are UGLY. My Pioneer is 5 years old, still works great, has features that most new HU's don't have....if I could just get it to light up red instead of green.

--------------------
Power everything

+Quote Post
Heritage Z
post Jul 31 2008, 06:13 PM
Post #18

ATGO Frequent

QUOTE(Cranford @ Jul 22 2008, 01:19 AM) *

Kenwood has a decent inexpensive model out that has a USB and aux mini-jack plug on the face.

--------------------
Jeff K.

+Quote Post
lucid
post Aug 2 2008, 02:44 AM
Post #19

ATGO Post-Lazy

Member No.: 307

I have the JVC model with the USB plug on the front in my yellow z, that is one nice radio. I can hook up the USB drive, my Sansa MP3 player by the USB cable and it will power it on to access the files.

I am not a big fan of the rotary knob, but I had to compromise to get the USB connectivity.

Its also a MOSFET powered radio, and the sound is really good.

http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.js...elId=MODL027693

BTW, I have a JVC fanatic. That car has a JVC: Mosfet amp, head unit, 6x9 450watt speakers, and had a CD Changer until it broke.

--------------------
~Lucid is a state of mind~
1986 Camaro Z28 - 305 TPI
1987 Camaro IROC Z28 - 305 TPI

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2019 - 11:36 PM