> Shops to Avoid
StevenK
post Aug 10 2006, 08:29 PM
Post #1

LS1 Powered 91Z28

Group: Founder
Member No.: 5

Tech Writer Lending a hand award Donation award

This is to post information about any shops that people need to avoid.  Post up your horror stories and save someone else from the hastle.

--------------------
1991 Z-28 - LS1 & T-56 Swap - 4.10 4th Gen Rear
ARE Stage 1 Heads - 2.02" intake, 1.57" exhaust, Comp 918 Springs
Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft - 224/224 .563/.563 114 LSA
Head Flow Sheet
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Aug 10 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #2

ATGO Addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 97

Tech Writer

Lamb's Auto...183/Lakeline

They quoted me over $800 to get my AC fixed...It turned out to that a plug was 6" too short to reach the compressor!  Of course, that was figured out AFTER I spent $200 on a new compressor (Lamb's wanted $480 for one!), new accumulator, freon 134a, etc.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

Harwood Cowl Induction hood~4th gen rear wing~Ground Control Weight Jacks front & rear~180 deg thermostat~TSP Rumbler Magnaflow cat-back~UMI rod ended LCAs & PHB~275/315 17" ROH Snypers~"custom" CAI~Alson SFCs~IROC Wonderbar~UMI Billet tie rod adjusters~Sylvania Silver Star headlights & fog lights (fog light shield removed~Fogs w/Highs on mod

2" shackle drop rear~Volant CAI~Dynomax 39310 Ultra Flow Cat-back~JVC single DIN USB port deck~Duplicolor exterior paint matched interior pieces

+Quote Post
89WHITEGTA
post Aug 11 2006, 11:52 AM
Post #3

ATGO Addict

Member No.: 79

almost all dealers

--------------------

Bert
87 RED GTA
350 TPI Auto

+Quote Post
BigBadLou
post Aug 11 2006, 12:09 PM
Post #4

Electrical Guru

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 7

Tech Writer Lending a Hand Donations award

:stupid:

--------------------
"People suck, life blows, now that's what I call equilibrium!"

+Quote Post
zman
post Aug 16 2006, 06:01 PM
Post #5

ATGO Yapper

Member No.: 168

Lambs . Im #2 in here on that one. 183 Cedar Park. Rip off Priced

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Aug 16 2006, 06:09 PM
Post #6

ATGO Addict

Member No.: 97

Tech Writer

Same store?  I'm sure they are all just as bad, just curious.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

Harwood Cowl Induction hood~4th gen rear wing~Ground Control Weight Jacks front & rear~180 deg thermostat~TSP Rumbler Magnaflow cat-back~UMI rod ended LCAs & PHB~275/315 17" ROH Snypers~"custom" CAI~Alson SFCs~IROC Wonderbar~UMI Billet tie rod adjusters~Sylvania Silver Star headlights & fog lights (fog light shield removed~Fogs w/Highs on mod

2" shackle drop rear~Volant CAI~Dynomax 39310 Ultra Flow Cat-back~JVC single DIN USB port deck~Duplicolor exterior paint matched interior pieces

+Quote Post
zman
post Aug 18 2006, 05:42 PM
Post #7

ATGO Yapper

Member No.: 168

o yeah. it is north of lakeline mall. They over charged me like crazy on the parts they replaced on my truck and then after replacing them they couldn't do a front end alignment. I had a tie rod and ball joints replaced. $300 just for parts.

+Quote Post
89WHITEGTA
post Oct 25 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #8

ATGO Addict

Member No.: 79

Not a fan of firestone. Any of them.

--------------------

Bert
87 RED GTA
350 TPI Auto

+Quote Post
talanthalus
post Nov 27 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #9

ATGO Frequent

Member No.: 165

I do NOT recommend dealing with these people...ever...

Discount Tire
(512) 341-8593
3 S 3115 Ih 35 South
Round Rock, TX 78664

I buy all tires through Discount these days, but the service at this store has been horrible, and a few people there lie about something every time I have to deal with them. My latest issue is regarding a tire replacement under warranty. I called to find out if they had it in stock, which they didn't, and I asked about getting it ordered and was told I had to come in to let them see it. When I arrived, the person ignored the fact, that I have a bubble in the sidewall of the right FRONT tire, was asking ME how to set up the order (I don't know their process), and told me I didn't need to come in to get the tire replaced...

I could write the whole story, but I'll save the space. There are plenty of good Discount Tire stores to go to, but this one has proven many times not to be....

+Quote Post
marc
post Dec 3 2007, 10:14 AM
Post #10

ATGO Frequent

Member No.: 194

Lamb's Auto In Pflugerville is another one to avoid. I went in there to see about my a/c and just to charge it they wanted $480. I called Lou and he told me what to get from auto zone and I spent $60 to charge my a/c.

--------------------
Marc

+Quote Post
master pains
post Dec 3 2007, 04:21 PM
Post #11

ATGO Post-Lazy

Member No.: 301

wow im glad my shops not on the list

+Quote Post
Eddy
post Dec 3 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #12

Fabricator

Member No.: 272

Here's a couple out my way that have bent me over the desk.

Goodyear in Bastrop....

I replaced the complete front suspension on my 79 T/A and had my wife take it into town to get an alignment done. They told her they couldn't align it because it needed all 4 new tie rods and a wheel bearing. I had just replaced those the previous evening along with every other replaceable part and bushing. They charged her $40 to lie to her.
Also, after I finally finished the front end rebuild on my current car I had her take it into town for an alignment while I was at work. She took it to the same place even though I told her not to...there's 3 more places in town that do alignments. Guess what....same story again. They couldn't do it becaus it needed struts, wheel bearings, a ball joint and an idler arm. All of which was BRAND NEW! And, of course, they charged her $40 to lie to her yet again.

Bernards tire in Bastrop.....

I finally got my front end aligned by these guys, and they did a good job even though it was kinda pricey. So, when I got ready to swap out my wheels so I could start the polishing process I took the car to them to swap out my wheels. They carged me $12.50 a tire to swap them to an extra set I had....that included balancing. When I drove the car home it started shaking/vibrating really bad. I took it back to them the next day to get them to rebalance the tires. They wouldn't do it unless I gave them $8 a tire. They should have done it right the first time. I took it to discount tire in Bastrop, told them what happend, and they balanced all 4 for free. Guess what...no more vibrations. Bernards didn't do it right the first time, then they tried to charge me again to "try" to get it right.

--------------------
1991 Firebird 355/WC T5/3.27 9 bolt. Edlebrock shorty headers, 3" pipe, Hookers Aero chamber, Full WS6 suspension transplant, Lakewood LCA's, UMI adjustable panhard bar, 4th gen power lumbar ebony leather, 4th gen console
Power everything

2000 Ford F-250 SuperDuty 7.3 diesel auto
2000 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4/auto
2011 Ford Explorer 3.5/auto
2006 Chevrolet Uplander 3.5/auto full of tool boxes

+Quote Post
talanthalus
post Dec 4 2007, 07:05 PM
Post #13

ATGO Frequent

Member No.: 165

I will never set foot in Lamb's anywhere again. Much like Eddy's story, I replaced every single piece of the front suspension on my Charger and took it to one to get an alignment done. The guy tried to tell me I needed a lot of things replaced, and that the car was 7 - 8 inches too low in the front for him to be able to align it (it's at stock height). When I told him I'd just rebuilt the front-end completely, and that everything was new, he told me I needed to sue the shop that did the work, because they lied to me about it (never looked into filing against myself).

Oh...one of the issues preventing being able to complete an alignment was... sway bar bushings...

Anyway, my .02 about that place.

+Quote Post
TexasSilhouette
post Dec 4 2007, 09:01 PM
Post #14

ATGO Addict

Member No.: 82

Tech Writer

We went on a fishing trip with a bunch of local mechanics that one of our tool pushers put together. I got to listen to over three hours of a bunch of them one upping each other on who had ripped off a customer for the most. It made me sick to hear and to think I had to compete with those turds.

--------------------
Done.

+Quote Post
BigBadLou
post Dec 5 2007, 08:52 AM
Post #15

Electrical Guru

When will you peoople learn that car mechanics are worse than dealers and they make money mostly by scamming people? rolleyes.gif
If you MUST take your car to a lying POS grease monkey, don't send your wife, go by yourself and WATCH what they're doing.

We really need to start an ATGO hit squad. ughlaugh.gif

Lou

--------------------

+Quote Post
BigBadLou
post Dec 14 2007, 02:52 PM
Post #16

Electrical Guru

Another shop to avoid would be the Kwik Kar Lube (yes, that's the actual spelling) on Parmer Lane east of Mopac.
I've been there for state inspections before and never had a problem. But now, that the original cool owner (gearhead) left, the shop is run by youngsters who don't know how to read the inspection criteria set by DPS and who make up their own rules.

I recommend to stay away from this once-great place.

Lou

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smilie
post Mar 5 2008, 11:43 AM
Post #17

ATGO Regular

Member No.: 300

I Recomend to NOT use Longhorn Transmission off of 1431, I took my car up there to get the Transmision done because My car was knocking underneath. So they Fixed my Transmission (stating the 1st and 2nd Gear needed fixing) Only fixed the 2nd Gear, and (1st Kicks out sometimes now), and charged me like $1100 to fix that. Didn't put a coverplate on my transmission, and The issue they looked further into it after a test drive, ended up being my Rear-end. So i took it to Austin Drive Train to get that done.

And The owner before me took it to LAMBS to get work done, I RECOMEND TO NOT USE THEM. They will screw you over left, right, up and DOWN. THey jacked the corvette headers off the car, and replaced them with some other short headers. Didn't Replace The Automatic Computer, when they rebuilt the motor (knowing that it had been switched to a Manuel).. That place is all kinds of badness. And I believe the specific one this "work" was done at is off 183 near 1431.

Smilie =)

--------------------
Smile =)
There's always a positive side, try to find it! But watch out for Zombies, they're Coming.

+Quote Post
Randy
post Mar 11 2008, 01:07 AM
Post #18

ATGO Yapper

Member No.: 336

Longhorn Transmission off of 1431, ya had bad dealings with them jerks. Had a trans mission go out in my Nissan 200 SX Turbo i had a while back while i was down here visiting from michign. So insted of risking getting a Used transmission and not making it back to MIchigan... I sprang for the Brand new trans' mission from The Delearship. Small furtune there but I wanted it because i was given the car by my father and he had 2 years before put a brand spanking new motor and Turbo in it and it had less than 15k miles on it so needles to say a new tranney was perfect idea.. so i thought.... got the shit done.. New clutch kit, New trans, bla bla bla... so i'm driving back to michigan, i get probly 1/2 way there and the trans takes a shit on me. now mind you i dint just get in it and drive it after having it installed. i was still down here for an additinal two weeks after having the trans replaced. so i had plenty of time to drive it so i thought. so yea.. i'm 1/2 way back to michigan, and boom. i lost 5th gear.. now i'm in panic mode.. so i chance carraying on, in fourth gear and keeping the speed around 55-60, yea.. bad idea. lost 4 and 3rd. it went down hill from there. was not even able to make it to the next town.. had to have my sit towed. found a delarship near buy.. they take it apart.. Its a USED trans mission with the paint markings on it the junk yard put on it to identify after they strip it from cars the are gonna crush. no idea how many miles were on it.. And. I told them to put the new clutch in the one i picked out of there catalog for it.. yea.. Bull fuking shit.. I order a aftermarket clutch.. It had the Stock Nissan Clutch in it.. had NISSAN stamped right on it. so all in all these fukers are jack asses. oh.. and i called them. bitchen and ranting.. they wouldnt do shit because "I have to bring the car back in there shop". even tho its at a fuking delership at this point. I have to some how get the car back to texas for them to rip me off more.. in the end i got scrwed out of a few thousand dollars and had to barrow the money from my parents to had teh deler ship fix the shit right to get my fukin car home,

-Randy-

--------------------
--1991 Camaro RS Convertible-- (LO3 - V8 - TBI) 5.0 Liter - Borg-Warner T5 Manual - Performance Chip--
--Current Project- Lighter Fluid and a Match... yep that will fix it!--

Previous 3rd gen's:

-1982 Camaro (LQ9 - L4 - TBI) - 2.4 Liter -- 4 speed Manual -- Sold

-1983 Recaro Trans Am T-Top (LG4 - V8 - 4bbl) 5.0 Liter -- (MM4) 4 speed Manual -- Sold
Swaped in 383 Stroker with Holly 4bbl. T5 Borg-Warner Trans.

-1988 Camaro (LB8 - V6 - MPI) 2.8 Liter -- 4 Speed Automatic with O.D. -- Sold

-1989 Pontiac Firebird (LB8 - V6 - MPFI) 2.8 Liter 700R4 Auto -- Sold

+Quote Post
BigBadLou
post Mar 11 2008, 07:49 AM
Post #19

Electrical Guru

Welcome to the world of lies and deceipt. They call it "the economy" here. lol.gif
If you need to borrow my truck to drive through their shop at night, I'll leave the keys in it. wink.gif

Lou

--------------------

+Quote Post
Randy
post Mar 11 2008, 09:36 AM
Post #20

ATGO Yapper

Member No.: 336

Would that even leave a scratch on our freaking Monster ford HAHAHA!

--------------------
--1991 Camaro RS Convertible-- (LO3 - V8 - TBI) 5.0 Liter - Borg-Warner T5 Manual - Performance Chip--
--Current Project- Lighter Fluid and a Match... yep that will fix it!--

Previous 3rd gen's:

-1982 Camaro (LQ9 - L4 - TBI) - 2.4 Liter -- 4 speed Manual -- Sold

-1983 Recaro Trans Am T-Top (LG4 - V8 - 4bbl) 5.0 Liter -- (MM4) 4 speed Manual -- Sold
Swaped in 383 Stroker with Holly 4bbl. T5 Borg-Warner Trans.

-1988 Camaro (LB8 - V6 - MPI) 2.8 Liter -- 4 Speed Automatic with O.D. -- Sold

-1989 Pontiac Firebird (LB8 - V6 - MPFI) 2.8 Liter 700R4 Auto -- Sold

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2019 - 11:29 PM