IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1982 Z28 - Bringing it back to life, Reviving a "garage find" '82 Z28 after 12-years storage
81X11
post Aug 21 2013, 05:14 PM
Post #21

ATGO Post-Lazy

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,292

Crossed Dallas at about 10:45 and stopped for gas for the last time in Waco at midnight.

Got home at 1:30am Tuesday morning. Slept until 1:30pm Tuesday afternoon.

We're home!

Unloaded the Camaro and put it under my carport for now. So weird to see this car here after all these years!

Parked the Blazer in it's new spot

That's IT. Hope you enjoyed the road trip! We sure did!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
81X11
post Aug 21 2013, 05:16 PM
Post #22

ATGO Post-Lazy

Here is the current update for those following along. This was in may as we tore into the car:

- SEM-dyed all the faded tan interior plastics back to original Camel color

- Installed new Sony X-Plode speakers, 4x6 4-ways in the dash, 6x9 3-ways in the rear sides...and yes, Tucker poked the tweeter. I wanted to beat him, but he's 4 and I should have been watching him. Still sounds fine...

- Install new hood struts

- Replace radiator overflow bottle and windshield washer bottle with much better used replacements, do a light cleaning under the hood.

- Install freshly-painted front bumper grills on both sides of the license plate….remove NJ license plate. Car looks MEAN.

- Run to the Belton Wrench-A-Part for good used power window switches and rear storage compartment light. HOT HOT HOT, but found needed parts in ’89 Iroc-Z

+Quote Post
81X11
post Aug 21 2013, 05:16 PM
Post #23

ATGO Post-Lazy

- Install Alpine CD player (sounds awesome!), replace burned out bulb in climate control head and also splice-in missing light socket and bulb for shift indicator in console. This alone took three hours…all the radio wires in the dash were cut, no plugs, so had to locate a GM wire diagram online, and then sort through each wire and splice in stereo plug while sweating and cursing in the heat…fun. No seats in the car, do this laying on blanket on the floor.

- New Radio works great once installed, but power antenna goes up and down twice and then breaks….happily in the UP position. Have to locate wire under the dash to shut off antenna motor. Doh!
- Install Dad-reconditioned console with freshly-polished Camaro Clock face (looks awesome), new/used window and hatch-release switches installed, and non-warped storage compartment lid. Nice.
- Install rest of console trim (30-torx screws) and install new leather shift ball and parking brake handle. Looks really NICE!

- Camaro console clock ticks for almost two minutes and then stops dead. Tapping on it starts it again…for about a minute. Oh well….it looks cool at least. Lights inside it light up with headlights. They DO work…

- CAREFULLY install dash pad….no cracks, amazing.

- Dad installed SEM-dyed tan passenger-side plastic trim around speaker and left side of hatch, then moves to rear of car and begins to install plastic there…but the plug for the cargo light switch breaks. Try to rig, nope. Parts store run. Now 7pm Sunday night. Clean up tools and scattered parts…Dad wipes the car off for the 10th time and puts the t-tops back on..and cleans them to (ha!). Call it a day.

So after a weekend of work, the hood stays up without a broom handle, underhood is cleaner and looks better with new water bottles. Car is clean (Dad wiped it down constantly both days..ha). The car has a great stereo in it. Dash and console are together again (and all the dash/console lights work). Interior trim is slowly going back in, with seats to soon follow. We also have a perfect factory Z28 three-spoke leather steering wheel that will replace aftermarket one as soon as the seats are in!

Parts still in the garage....with toy I found for Dad!

Funky double-needle Speedo. How to make an 85mph speedo less boring?

Bit-by-bit!

+Quote Post
81X11
post Aug 21 2013, 05:18 PM
Post #24

ATGO Post-Lazy

And this was over this past weekend, Aug 17th-18th

Holy COW….it is ALIVE!

We'd started this project in May, but it got sidlined do to boats, Blazer's, and just it being so freaking hot here in the summer. Finally got back on it...and here is the long-overdue update!

We’d previously had it started, but would not idle. Took a carb rebuild to make it run!

Engine:
- Carburetor rebuilt
- New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, pcv
- Oil changed
- Coolant flushed and replaced
- New valve cover gaskets

Drivetrain:
- Transmission fluid and filter changed, shifts fine!
- Rear axle grease changed, limited-slip additive added. Nice and quiet, but broke one bolt on the differential cover, had to tap/drill (rust).
- Front wheel bearings re-packed, brakes cleaned/adjusted

Fuel:
- Gave up on draining the tank, instead mixed a toxic concoction of Lucas fuel system cleaner with gas-dry, and Seafoam, then filled the car up with Super unleaded…it took 12-gallons to fill the tank..and I think these cars have 16-gallon tanks, so it had 4-gallons of OLD gas in there. You can smell it when the car is running now…the exhaust STINKS. The car runs smooth, and is not smoking (puffed black at startup then cleares out), but hopefully the exhaust will smell better once we run a few tanks of new gas through the car. Happily the car is over 25-years-old, so is emissions exempt.

Electrical:
- New brake light switch
- New headlight, various bulbs

Details:
- New factory leather Z28 steering wheel installed (gorgeous)
- Alpine stereo and 4 new speakers installed
- New headliner, visors, and rear foam speaker covers installed.
- All plastic interior panels re-dyed with SEM coating
- Dashpad bolted down, no cracks!
- Tic-Tock-Clock console installed (keeps time now too!) along with new window switches and hatch switch
- New leather shift knob installed, shifter itself re-painted black
- Broken tail light replaced
- Rear window wiper repaired
- Lots and lots of CLEANING!

To-Do Still
- Have passenger seat bolted on driver’s side. Driver’s seat and rear seatback are still at the upholstery shop. Cannot pick up until next payday!
- Still need to install new a/c compressor and retrofit. Manifold hoses being rebuilt at Robert’s shop. Will do a/c next month
- Have used front fender, need to have it, and the front bumper, re-painted and installed.
- Fix power antenna
- Lubricate power locks and window regulators, to bring locks back to life and speed up windows, which work but are SLOOOW
- Replace rock-hard Goodyear tires with the new Road Huggers I have in the carport
- Install a louder exhaust…needs to RUMBLE
- Window tint
- Replace old/worn items that show up once we start driving the car again….I’m sure there will be leaks, failures….it’s an old car.

And I’m sure there will be a lot more, but it’s sure good to have the car ALIVE again!!!

-Mike

+Quote Post
81X11
post Aug 21 2013, 05:18 PM
Post #25

ATGO Post-Lazy

Vids to follow...

+Quote Post
81X11
post Aug 21 2013, 05:20 PM
Post #26

ATGO Post-Lazy

[quote name='81X11' post='57114' date='Aug 21 2013, 05:18 PM']Ok gang, better than just pics, here's videos too!

Here’s Dad on the Camaro project’s maiden drive last night. Dad punched it in this video, and you can hear the secondary's kick open...waaaAAHHH!!!

So cool to see a 66-year-old turn into a 16-year old. He loves his new toy. Go Dad Go!!

http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/1981X11/...161435435937564 - Video here

http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/1981X11/...954331792378582 - - Video here

http://s1188.photobucket.com/user/1981X11/...803853171503707 - - Video here

-Mike

+Quote Post
Albani
post Aug 22 2013, 06:34 AM
Post #27

Car Crazy Canadian

Member No.: 317

Welcome Mike. I was wondering when you were going to find this place. The Z's looking good.
I've known Mike for years, and I can tell you he's as car crazy as they come.
So Mike, get that car ready and watch this forum, because we try to do breakfast every first Sunday of the month.
Would love for you to join us. Lots of people here that will drool over your Z.

+Quote Post
81X11
post Aug 22 2013, 08:30 AM
Post #28

ATGO Post-Lazy

QUOTE(Albani @ Aug 22 2013, 06:34 AM) *
Welcome Mike. I was wondering when you were going to find this place. The Z's looking good.
I've known Mike for years, and I can tell you he's as car crazy as they come.
So Mike, get that car ready and watch this forum, because we try to do breakfast every first Sunday of the month.
Would love for you to join us. Lots of people here that will drool over your Z.

Will do, thanks Albani!

-Mike

+Quote Post
81X11
post Aug 23 2013, 08:13 AM
Post #29

ATGO Post-Lazy

It died on Dad the other night. Fuel filter was clogged. Swapped it out in the parking lot of the Shell station on I-35, and then it started right up and he drove it home. He said the filter he took out had a lot of gunk in it. Sure wish we could get the tank out, but to do that you have to cut off the exhaust and also lower down the rear suspension...

He now has the two needed wrenches to get the filter out of the carb and spare filters stashed in the car.

Wonder how many more times it's going to clog up before all that old gas is flushed out of the system?

Such fun!

-Mike

+Quote Post
flu_by_u
post Aug 23 2013, 11:00 AM
Post #30

1989 Firebird Formula 350 5.7L TPI

Member No.: 376

Man, that car is beautiful! Keep an eye out for our next meet.

--------------------
-AKA R.J.-

+Quote Post
wrnglrx
post Sep 6 2013, 08:54 PM
Post #31

ATGO Post-Lazy

Member No.: 1,237

Great ride... Thnx for posting pics. Always love seeing what other gear heads are doing. Glad you are building it back to the way it was. Hate when people snag a perfectly good 3rd gen and start hacking it till its just not even a thirdgen anymore. Can't wait to see some updates.

+Quote Post
BigBadLou
post Sep 16 2013, 02:08 PM
Post #32

Electrical Guru

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 7

Tech Writer Lending a Hand Donations award

Hi Mike and welcome to the club! party.gif

Great looking Z28, for sure. It must have been worth it to go get it all the way on the East Coast.
Bring it out to one of our breakfasts sometime!

You can drain the fuel tank by disconnecting the fuel filter line, directing it into a gas can and turning on the fuel pump.
Also, if you do decide to drop the tank, you can drop the axle low enough that the exhaust can be disconnected from the cat and pulled straight out the back to get it out of the way.

Lou

--------------------
"People suck, life blows, now that's what I call equilibrium!"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th September 2019 - 08:39 AM