Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Domestic vs Import
iwannaracecar
post Jul 21 2005, 06:57 AM
Post #1

ATGO Addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 83

ok so i was in town this weekend and decided to read up on my old import fourum and i came across this thread and thought it was kinda... actually i didnt really know what to think. but its more or less how the import scene looks at domestic racers. honestly i dont really care what they think cuz i rock both worlds but figured yall might like to read this.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22662

--------------------
If u cant hear it before u see it, I aint driving it.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
StevenK
post Jul 21 2005, 11:05 AM
Post #2

LS1 Powered 91Z28

Group: Founder
Member No.: 5

Tech Writer Lending a hand award Donation award

I started reading the thread, only got through the first post....some of those avatars are not safe for work....not nude, but definitly provocative.

I agree with the first post though.

+Quote Post
iwannaracecar
post Jul 21 2005, 03:21 PM
Post #3

ATGO Addict

lol yeah they have some of the coolest avatars but i read almost all of the threads and i agree with most of the guys on there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
StevenK
post Jul 21 2005, 05:48 PM
Post #4

LS1 Powered 91Z28

I just finished reading the thread.

They basically say that older people drive domestic making them more laid back, and there are alot of people buying cheap imports nad paying people to put accessories on them.

I agree with what is said. If the car looks like it has alot of time and work put into it, I respect that.

Now a ricer with a 3 foot wing and a kazuu for a muffler running a 17 second 1/4 mile is laugh worthy

+Quote Post
RED3RDGEN
post Jul 21 2005, 07:11 PM
Post #5

ATGO Frequent

Member No.: 28

(blackgloves)
(iwannaracecar)
lol yeah they have some of the coolest avatars but i read almost all of the threads and i agree with most of the guys on there.

HELL NO, Mustang drivers are just a step away from the mentality of import guys in my opinion. We are for sure diffrent. Now I have met a F-body owner or two, I would have loved to punch, square in the mouth. SOme are VERY cocky assholes. . . . .

Yep...Jerks drive all brands of cars....just as many in F-Bods as there are in Mustangs...... NO brand has the corner on the idiot market! :wink:

--------------------
VY 2007 Z06
89 Formula 350(383)
89 Formula 5.0/5spd
92 TA Vert 5spd

+Quote Post
RED3RDGEN
post Jul 21 2005, 08:46 PM
Post #6

ATGO Frequent

(blackgloves)
(RED3RDGEN)
(blackgloves)
(iwannaracecar)

HELL NO, Mustang drivers are just a step away from the mentality of import guys in my opinion. We are for sure diffrent. Now I have met a F-body owner or two, I would have loved to punch, square in the mouth. SOme are VERY cocky assholes. . . . .

Yep...Jerks drive all brands of cars....just as many in F-Bods as there are in Mustangs...... NO brand has the corner on the idiot market! :wink:

I know you drive multi brand cars, including Mustangs. I dont know you, but I beg to differ. How many times has everyone ran into a stock GT, with exhaust, and "that guy" thought he was king shit?

Ive ran into as many cocky idiots in stock GT's as 4 door imports with cold air's and a fart pipes.

Beg away.......but it's true.

Sure...I've been next to jerks with backwards hats in a mustang acting stupid...and just as many irocs with some abortioned carbed motor dropped in doing brake torques.....

The funny thing is - the guy in the stang and that guy with the camaro will probably hook up and trade cars one day! :wink:

--------------------
VY 2007 Z06
89 Formula 350(383)
89 Formula 5.0/5spd
92 TA Vert 5spd

+Quote Post
Travis
post Jul 22 2005, 07:54 AM
Post #7

ATGO Addict

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 78

Lending a Hand

i dont know about everyone else but i wouldnt ever trade my f-body for a mustang

+Quote Post
RED3RDGEN
post Jul 22 2005, 08:09 AM
Post #8

ATGO Frequent

(tcfco2005)
i dont know about everyone else but i wouldnt ever trade my f-body for a mustang

Just don't bet any current or future children on that.....

I've been on the F-Bod list since it was an email group here in Austin.....there's a long list of folks that said the same thing. (and Mustang folks that would "never" own a f-bod that do now!)

I used to be the same way. Not drawing conclusions here, becuase I have no idea how old anyone is here, but I notice statemetns like "Most *** cars are junk", "People that drive **** are ***" or I would never buy a ****" are usually young, and have not had the chance to play around with a lot of different cars. Again...I did the same....not saying that there is anything wrong with it, or that young people aren't smart, etc.......

I am not a Mustang guy, or a f-bod guy, or a corvette guy...I am a car guy. I think Steven put it best - I may not like the way a car looks, or maybe I would not own one that looks a certain way, but I appreciate any car that someone has taken the time to do right.

I notice the same thing with Women - used to want the perfect ones.....now I wish I could try them all. :wink:

Now.....as for the Mustangs - Come on out to my house and I will let you drive my Cobra (Yes, I really will) Between the Vortech and the 4.10's, there's no way you won't enjoy it.......even if it's something you woudn't buy yourself! I'm not an import guy, but I'd love to drive a 300HP WRX or Mitsu EVO for a day!

--------------------
VY 2007 Z06
89 Formula 350(383)
89 Formula 5.0/5spd
92 TA Vert 5spd

+Quote Post
BigBadLou
post Jul 22 2005, 10:35 AM
Post #9

Electrical Guru

Member No.: 7

Tech Writer Lending a Hand Donations award

Shiiiiiit, my browser just crashed and I lost about 15 minutes worth of typing. Oh well, I'll just summarize.

I think this F-body vs Mustang vs Charger thing is mostly based on personal preference and taste. Although I would not mind test driving the new mustang (for the experience), I would not want to own it, I simply like a thirdgen F-body much more. But that doesn't mean I hate Mustangs!! I love the older ones, up to 70's. Then in the 80's, Ford changed the style to a box and that's not my taste anymore.

So I don't think this whole rivarly thing is based on much rational thought, I'd say it's just taste and preference. Sometimes it's also fake loyalty (when you condition yourself enough to like only one make). I don't care what make it is, as long as I like it and it gives me satisfaction and enjoyment. That's why I have a Ford diesel truck (cuz diesel Chevy diesels from the 90's sucked big time), Chevy Camaro sports car, Mercury Cougar daily driver and my wife has a Civic hamster-mobile. :biggrin: It's all relative.

In Edit: Forgot to add, Red is right, taste and opinions change during the years, so saying "I will never" might turn out to be false. I'm sure I could catch myself years ago say "I would never drive a Civic" ... and well guess what I drive to work ocassionally? :umm: That's right, the Hamster-mobile! :embarassed:

--------------------
"People suck, life blows, now that's what I call equilibrium!"

+Quote Post
StevenK
post Jul 22 2005, 11:01 AM
Post #10

LS1 Powered 91Z28

I personally would not trade my car in for a stock mustang

A mustang with alot of suspension work already done maybe, ir stock if Ford would do something about the stang's shitty handling

Last year I drove my car to dealership and asked to test drive a GT.

The first hard corner I took I almost lost it, the fuckers PUSH really bad. So I tried it again, this time using the Go pedal to try and swing the rear end, and I almost lost it again because of body roll causing unpredictable behavor in the front and rear.

My car is 14 years on stock suspension and it handles better.

I would be interested in driving a supercharged one in a straight line though :wink:

+Quote Post
RED3RDGEN
post Jul 22 2005, 12:39 PM
Post #11

ATGO Frequent

(StevenK)
I personally would not trade my car in for a stock mustang

A mustang with alot of suspension work already done maybe, ir stock if Ford would do something about the stang's shitty handling

Last year I drove my car to dealership and asked to test drive a GT.

The first hard corner I took I almost lost it, the fuckers PUSH really bad. So I tried it again, this time using the Go pedal to try and swing the rear end, and I almost lost it again because of body roll causing unpredictable behavor in the front and rear.

My car is 14 years on stock suspension and it handles better.

I would be interested in driving a supercharged one in a straight line though :wink:

Yep - mustangs do not handle as good as the F-bods...but are much better than they used to be. Mine has global west LCA's, springs, killer shocks and some other mods to help that problem out. It is the best handling one that I have ever had and is comparable to a stock 3rd gen but with a nicer ride. (Maybe that's why I had to do all that stuff to my red formula - couldn't sleep knowing the stang could handle with it!) GM has definetly had their stuff together for handling for a long time. That's why most Saturday night stock cars are built around the GM "metric frames" (Monte carlo, cutlass, grand prix) or using 2nd gen F-Bod front stubs......

I'll tell you what drives me nuts about F-bods - the price of after market parts. Stang tubular K - 200, 3rd Gen - 400. Nice stang full length headers - 300-400. Nice F bod shorties 700. I won't even start on what happens to cost when you buy stuff for the vettes!

Y'all need to come out to one of my parties...I get people from the F-bod list and the Mustang list. The F-bod people love their cars, the Mustang folks love their cars...but everyone likes beer.

Come on - it's not that bad looking. (Women, Children and those with weak constitutions sheild your eyes)

Besides - I have more GM's than Fords biggrin.gif (5 to 2!)

--------------------
VY 2007 Z06
89 Formula 350(383)
89 Formula 5.0/5spd
92 TA Vert 5spd

+Quote Post
Travis
post Jul 22 2005, 12:44 PM
Post #12

ATGO Addict

Lending a Hand

(RED3RDGEN)
(tcfco2005)

I've been on the F-Bod list since it was an email group here in Austin.....there's a long list of folks that said the same thing. (and Mustang folks that would "never" own a f-bod that do now!)

I used to be the same way. Not drawing conclusions here, becuase I have no idea how old anyone is here, but I notice statemetns like "Most *** cars are junk", "People that drive **** are ***" or I would never buy a ****" are usually young, and have not had the chance to play around with a lot of different cars. Again...I did the same....not saying that there is anything wrong with it, or that young people aren't smart, etc.......

I am not a Mustang guy, or a f-bod guy, or a corvette guy...I am a car guy. I think Steven put it best - I may not like the way a car looks, or maybe I would not own one that looks a certain way, but I appreciate any car that someone has taken the time to do right.

I notice the same thing with Women - used to want the perfect ones.....now I wish I could try them all. :wink:

Now.....as for the Mustangs - Come on out to my house and I will let you drive my Cobra (Yes, I really will) Between the Vortech and the 4.10's, there's no way you won't enjoy it.......even if it's something you woudn't buy yourself! I'm not an import guy, but I'd love to drive a 300HP WRX or Mitsu EVO for a day!

well i am young and i understand what your saying. but i still stick to what i said but that doesnt mean i would never buy one just that i would never trade mine. I like mustangs, i like wrx, nissan 350's, nissan 300, i just like cars, but i would still choose a camaro. just what i like and prefer. and i might have to take you up on that offer of driving your cobra. i drove my friends gt and it was awsome. he did alot of work to it and god damn it was fast but i still prefer the camaro.

+Quote Post
RED3RDGEN
post Jul 22 2005, 12:47 PM
Post #13

ATGO Frequent

(tcfco2005)
(RED3RDGEN)
(tcfco2005)

well i am young and i understand what your saying. but i still stick to what i said but that doesnt mean i would never buy one just that i would never trade mine. I like mustangs, i like wrx, nissan 350's, nissan 300, i just like cars, but i would still choose a camaro. just what i like and prefer. and i might have to take you up on that offer of driving your cobra. i drove my friends gt and it was awsome. he did alot of work to it and god damn it was fast but i still prefer the camaro.

Well said.....

--------------------
VY 2007 Z06
89 Formula 350(383)
89 Formula 5.0/5spd
92 TA Vert 5spd

+Quote Post
BigBadLou
post Jul 22 2005, 01:35 PM
Post #14

Electrical Guru

[In Schwarzenneger's voice] Nerrrrd alerrrt! Nerrrrd alerrrt!
:lmao:

--------------------

+Quote Post
iwannaracecar
post Jul 22 2005, 01:55 PM
Post #15

ATGO Addict

i got lucky enough to ride in a 10sec mustang. an 03 i belive. and hell yeah i would own that, full street legal and i promise yall will c it in a mag soon. but personally if i were to buy a new car it wouldnt be a mustan, or a corvette or a camaro(if they made them at the moment) i would probally go to some import 4 cylinder with a turbo stock. from where i am at in my life and as young as i am, imports are CHEAP! and thats what i like right now cuz im only 17. i built my integra for under 1000 bucks and it ran low 16's stock. it wasnt the best lookin car but it got me to and from where i needed to go and brought me fun on the weekends. but now that i own an f-body i love it, gas blows but its worth it to me. im not a brand specific guy, i love hondas, acura, chevy ford mitsubishi i mean u name it im sure there is something of that brand i like. as long as you build it and build it right ill give you respect. thats the way i see it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Travis
post Jul 22 2005, 03:19 PM
Post #16

ATGO Addict

Lending a Hand

AMEN

+Quote Post
StevenK
post Jul 22 2005, 03:55 PM
Post #17

LS1 Powered 91Z28

16 second 1/4 mile laugh.gif

sorry, I couldnt pass it up

+Quote Post
BigBadLou
post Jul 22 2005, 07:21 PM
Post #18

Electrical Guru

(blackgloves)
Look at the cars built by the import crowds. Four doors, %90 front wheel driven, most didn't come stock with even a power adder, no TORQUE. ALL made in mind of the car designer at the plant to pack groceries, fuel econmy, and sell at a cheap price. The opposite direction of what performace is about

You're preaching to the choire. But don't tell the rice crowd, they will disagree with you. They will object that ANY car can be fast with cardboard GFX and a fart can.
The difference between the muscle car crowd and the ricers: we know what makes a car fast but they know what makes it look fast! :biggrin:

--------------------

+Quote Post
RED3RDGEN
post Jul 22 2005, 07:51 PM
Post #19

ATGO Frequent

(StevenK)
16 second 1/4 mile laugh.gif

sorry, I couldnt pass it up

My first 89 Formula 350 (not the one I have now....) never ran better than 15 in the quarter...and it had 2x the engine!

--------------------
VY 2007 Z06
89 Formula 350(383)
89 Formula 5.0/5spd
92 TA Vert 5spd

+Quote Post
RED3RDGEN
post Jul 22 2005, 08:57 PM
Post #20

ATGO Frequent

Acura 1991 NSX - 14.4
Quick List of Sub 15 Jap Cars - (I figured by Honda and Toyota you meant all crappy Jap cars...so I took the liberty of adding some other nameplates as well.... biggrin.gif )

Acura 1992 NSX - 13.9
Mazda - 1991 RX7 - 14.9
Mitsu - 1991 3000GT VR-4 - 13.8
Mitsu - 1992 3000GT VR-4 - 14.3
Nissan - 1990 300ZX Turbo - 15.0
Nissan - 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo - 14.10
Nissan - 1992 300ZX Turbo - 14.2
Toyota - 1990 MR2 - 14.7

Honorable mention (under 15.5)

Infiniti - 1190 Q45 - 15.4
Mitsu - 1990 Eclipse GSX - 15.2
Mitsu - 1992 Eclipse GSX - 15.3
Nissan - 1990 300ZX Turbo - 15.0
Toyota - 1989 Supra Turbo - 15.2

I did not have time to research more tonight - granted some are over 20K - but they exist! :wink:

--------------------
VY 2007 Z06
89 Formula 350(383)
89 Formula 5.0/5spd
92 TA Vert 5spd

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2019 - 11:16 PM