Stephen
post Jan 5 2011, 10:01 AM
Post #21

ATGO Addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 97

Tech Writer

QUOTE(58mark @ Jan 5 2011, 08:40 AM) *
I like what I'm hearing, what are your ideas for how to pay for the food from dukes. that's always been a big sticking point

RJ thinks he can get Sponsors. I don't think we could possibly count on that & certainly not without knowing the number of people coming

For catered food & park rental, I say we charge a Registration Fee & if we wanna do awards/trophies, we need to get Classes & Judges. Getting Trophies/Awards made isn't a problem, since my old job does that stuff all the time. Pretty sure they won't do it for free/sponsor that part, since that is what they do for business, make that kinda stuff. They have bills & employees.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

Harwood Cowl Induction hood~4th gen rear wing~Ground Control Weight Jacks front & rear~180 deg thermostat~TSP Rumbler Magnaflow cat-back~UMI rod ended LCAs & PHB~275/315 17" ROH Snypers~"custom" CAI~Alson SFCs~IROC Wonderbar~UMI Billet tie rod adjusters~Sylvania Silver Star headlights & fog lights (fog light shield removed~Fogs w/Highs on mod

2" shackle drop rear~Volant CAI~Dynomax 39310 Ultra Flow Cat-back~JVC single DIN USB port deck~Duplicolor exterior paint matched interior pieces
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
58mark
post Jan 5 2011, 10:06 AM
Post #22

ATGO Frequent

Member No.: 659

do what you can but remember this. I think the only beef anybody have the dukes last year was the heat. avoid the summer months and you could have all the best parts of last year without the worst by keeping it at dukes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jan 5 2011, 10:27 AM
Post #23

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

QUOTE(58mark @ Jan 5 2011, 09:06 AM) *
do what you can but remember this. I think the only beef anybody have the dukes last year was the heat. avoid the summer months and you could have all the best parts of last year without the worst by keeping it at dukes.

Cheaper on everyone too.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

Harwood Cowl Induction hood~4th gen rear wing~Ground Control Weight Jacks front & rear~180 deg thermostat~TSP Rumbler Magnaflow cat-back~UMI rod ended LCAs & PHB~275/315 17" ROH Snypers~"custom" CAI~Alson SFCs~IROC Wonderbar~UMI Billet tie rod adjusters~Sylvania Silver Star headlights & fog lights (fog light shield removed~Fogs w/Highs on mod

2" shackle drop rear~Volant CAI~Dynomax 39310 Ultra Flow Cat-back~JVC single DIN USB port deck~Duplicolor exterior paint matched interior pieces

+Quote Post
flu_by_u
post Jan 5 2011, 10:43 AM
Post #24

1989 Firebird Formula 350 5.7L TPI

Member No.: 376

Yes heat was a BIG problem. Fall sounds good. Duke's sounds good for food. I don't remember much about parking at Duke's, but was there enough parking for more attendance than last yrs? Also, what if we had food at Duke's then a cruise to the park of choice so we can play some games. I'm a big fan of washers, horse shoes, volleyball. That means no need to raise money for food, use trees for shade(canopies if ppl have them), ppl bring their own drinks.

--------------------
-AKA R.J.-

+Quote Post
StevenK
post Jan 5 2011, 10:53 AM
Post #25

LS1 Powered 91Z28

Group: Founder
Member No.: 5

Tech Writer Lending a hand award Donation award

Pinned the topic so its at the top.

As for charging registration, I personally am against that. I would rather have a free park, or chill in a parking lot than have to pay to come to the meet.

--------------------
1991 Z-28 - LS1 & T-56 Swap - 4.10 4th Gen Rear
ARE Stage 1 Heads - 2.02" intake, 1.57" exhaust, Comp 918 Springs
Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft - 224/224 .563/.563 114 LSA
Head Flow Sheet

+Quote Post
flu_by_u
post Jan 5 2011, 10:57 AM
Post #26

QUOTE(StevenK @ Jan 5 2011, 10:53 AM) *
Pinned the topic so its at the top.

As for charging registration, I personally am against that. I would rather have a free park, or chill in a parking lot than have to pay to come to the meet.

I am in the same boat.

--------------------
-AKA R.J.-

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jan 5 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #27

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

The parks themselves are free. The covered tables are not.

But without $ coming in (registration/whatever) we aren't going to get any trophies/awards/whatever. Which is fine by me, but others might want it/might increase attendance.

Parking was quite adequate at Duke's & even better if we don't allow canopies in the parking area.

I'm liking the idea of doing it in May/June, instead of Fall, since that would be 8-9 months away from now.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jan 5 2011, 11:41 AM
Post #28

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

Looking over rainfall records online.....May seems to be the highest, June a little less, then May less than that (and 11 degrees cooler).

I say lets do it in May. Just 4 months away, but we can do that.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

+Quote Post
58mark
post Jan 5 2011, 11:54 AM
Post #29

ATGO Frequent

one advantage of waiting until the fall... It gives local groups to really get the word out in their owns areas.. for example, houston always does a big summertime event, and could push the statewide event while they have everybody in one place. Same goes for the Dallas group, but we have a better internet based group, and can get the word out either way

may or may not be a big deal

One way to have registration free and still have trophies and other swag is to either have sponsors, or only charge a fee to those who want to enter their car for consideration for judging... that's the fair way. If you don't want to be judged, you dont need to be charged, because you aren't taking home a trophy anyway.

I'd love to see enough categories for judging that many people can get excited about bring their cars... Survivor class, V6, in addition to the regular classes... you could check out the Fbody gathering site out of atlanta for ideas.

May is cool.... not too late, not too early

--------------------

+Quote Post
flu_by_u
post Jan 5 2011, 12:00 PM
Post #30

May is fine for me. We gonna cruise to the park after eating or chill in Dukes parking lot the whole time?

--------------------
-AKA R.J.-

+Quote Post
topduarte
post Jan 7 2011, 10:30 AM
Post #31

ATGO Regular

Member No.: 753

For the Mopar club we have here in Austin, we usually had our gatherings at one of the parks.

Some brought a grill and everybody brought their meats they wanted cooked and their own drinks.

Everyone like to hang out at parks and BS, droll over each others cars, play horseshoes, washers, etc.

Kids IMO get bored at car shows that are at restaurants within an hour.

Pick a park with a pool and that makes everyone happy.

Just my $.02!

+Quote Post
zimmstoy
post Jan 7 2011, 02:08 PM
Post #32

ATGO Frequent

Member No.: 3

There is a park on the north side of town lake near riverside - right on the water if I recall correctly. They used to do the LoneStar Round Up there before it got really big and moved to the expo center. Not sure what would be involved to find out about it, but I always remember havinga great time out there. Room for a few hundred cars.

--------------------
Thanks,
Scott

92 Z28 Convertible - Sold
87 Monte Carlo SS Turbo Project - Jet Black!

+Quote Post
marc
post Jan 7 2011, 07:42 PM
Post #33

ATGO Frequent

Member No.: 194

I'm down for duke's again but I agree with every one that it was just way to hot last year. I vote that we start at Duke's and eat and what not then cruise to a park or what ever. I'm down for the pool idea if we can find one that is free or cheap.

--------------------
Marc

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jan 7 2011, 07:55 PM
Post #34

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

How about a river instead of a public pool? GT has a great swimming hole not 5 min away from Duke's. Personally? I love rivers/lakes over chlorine swimming pools ANY day! Just gotta check on parking over there, since I haven't been in awhile & I know they made some changes to it.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

+Quote Post
marc
post Jan 7 2011, 08:52 PM
Post #35

ATGO Frequent

Member No.: 194

I'd be down for that

--------------------
Marc

+Quote Post
58mark
post Jan 8 2011, 04:59 PM
Post #36

ATGO Frequent

I think a plan is needed for promotion. Typically these things suffer a terrible sophomore slump. People who showed up the first year out of novelty aren't that interested in the second year.

Other than getting the word out on TGO and local groups like this one, what else can be done?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jan 8 2011, 06:26 PM
Post #37

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

QUOTE(58mark @ Jan 8 2011, 03:59 PM) *
I think a plan is needed for promotion. Typically these things suffer a terrible sophomore slump. People who showed up the first year out of novelty aren't that interested in the second year.

Other than getting the word out on TGO and local groups like this one, what else can be done?

Advertising, radio/TV/internet ads, which I can't afford, so word of mouth I guess it is.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

+Quote Post
flu_by_u
post Jan 9 2011, 03:36 PM
Post #38

Flyers!!! I always see flyers for these kinda things at HEB's, Rudy's BBQ, Vatozone, Oreillys.

--------------------
-AKA R.J.-

+Quote Post
58mark
post Jan 9 2011, 05:33 PM
Post #39

ATGO Frequent

here's some websites for other fbody gatherings around the country. Looking through them might give you some interesting ideas of ways to expand the festivities to a broader appeal, increasing participation

http://www.fbodybeachbash.com/index.php
http://www.fbodygathering.com/

I realize the audience for a third gen only event will be smaller than third gens only, but it's worth looking at other gatherings for inspiration

Without doubt, people need to feel that they are getting involved in something that is organized, and it's worth their time to drive 3, 4 or even 6 hours to get there to be a part of it.

I think offering something with events on a friday night and Saturday morning is worth looking at.

--------------------

+Quote Post
58mark
post Jan 9 2011, 06:05 PM
Post #40

ATGO Frequent

I'm willing to purchase a domain name and design a website to help us promote this and future events. Witha website we can get the event listed on websites that list car shows, and make promotion much easier

here's some names that are available....

these first two have the advantage of not seeming regional

thirdGenGathering.com
3rdGenGathering.com

if we want to make it regional, we have to decide on what the region is... broadening it might encourage others from OK, LA, and AR to attend

southcentral3rdGens.com
Texas3rdGens.com
3rdGensofTexas.com

this one is a little different, but I kind of like it...

8292thirds.com

couple more with a regional theme

3rdGenRoundup.com
ThirdGenRoundup.com

ok, feedback time!

--------------------

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2019 - 07:06 AM