IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where do you guys get your car audio stuff??
ScrapMaker
post Jan 18 2005, 10:02 AM
Post #1

ATGO Frequent

Group: Members
Member No.: 14

Where around Austin do you guys go to get your car audio stuff? Either installed or just purchased?

I've purchased stuff from Alpha Audio, and Best Buy... that's it and I never plan on buying from Alpha Audio again, since they cracked my dashboard, and screwed up my plates when they installed them for "free"... I took off my dash one day and found my speakers all screwed up, and I went back and they let me exchange them for new(took about 2 months to get them in for some reason).... and I did it myself in about 20 minutes, with a screwdriver and an exact-o knife...

To top it off, when I showed them that they cracked my dashboard (in half)... the installer tried to say that it was my fault for having such an old car... and it just "happened"... I told him that the way this dash comes off, there is no way it would just crack like that.... so they were gonna give me a "SWEET DEAL" on some window tinting... Needless to say, I got pretty much the "SHAFT" not a sweat deal... After the "discount," I still ended up paying $150 for my damn tint!! arg! That's more than the STANDARD price at Mother's Window Tint... with the same exact tint, and same lifetime warranty!

Don't let their nice-guy attitude fool you... they intend on taking all your money and doing some half-ass install...

--------------------

2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - Completely Stock

1990 Pontiac Firebird - Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kewl_blades
post Jan 18 2005, 04:40 PM
Post #2

ATGO Yapper

Member No.: 8

Custom sounds accidently tore a hole in my Fiero's Seat and paid to have it fully fixed. All new fabric not just a sown-up hole.

+Quote Post
StevenK
post Jan 18 2005, 05:04 PM
Post #3

LS1 Powered 91Z28

Group: Founder
Member No.: 5

Tech Writer Lending a hand award Donation award

I went to Custom Sounds with 2 grand in my pocket. I stood there looking at stuff for almost an hour and noone helped me. So when I found someone and started asking questions they treated me like shit. I went to Alpha and got all my stuff. Now custom sounds owns that shop too. So I doubt I will buy anything locally unless I find a good hookup

--------------------
1991 Z-28 - LS1 & T-56 Swap - 4.10 4th Gen Rear
ARE Stage 1 Heads - 2.02" intake, 1.57" exhaust, Comp 918 Springs
Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft - 224/224 .563/.563 114 LSA
Head Flow Sheet

+Quote Post
ScrapMaker
post Jan 18 2005, 06:08 PM
Post #4

ATGO Frequent

hrm this must have happened lately, because I (used to) go to Alpha Audio all the time... probably a few months ago, and the owner is this white guy... who's married to this asian lady... they had a sweet black bmw inside the showroom for a long time...

they must have just gotten bought out...

I must admit though.. if you pay them to do your CUSTOM work... like fiberglass... they WILL do a good job... because you = rich... and they love that about you... so if you are rich, go to Alpha Audio... they have everything you can imagine, and are very wise in the car audio area... just never buy an amp and have them install it for "free"... cuz it's gonna cost ya.

Also when I showed up with the cracked dashboard... the installer walked outside with me, along with their "lawyer," I guess.... anyways they were talking amonst themselves once they saw what idiots they were... and that's when they decided they couldn't do anything for me...

It wasn't until I went inside and talked to Bill McKinley... (who happens to be the manager now,) and he "straightened" it out... I'm not really sure if he knew I had to pay so much for my tint... but oh well... it's in the past..

Custom Sounds, Xtreme Sounds, Car Toyz, Alpha Audio are excellent examples of places where YOU WILL GET RIPPED OFF! If you, yourself can install your own car audio setup, I would never shop at these places... and even if you can't... just take your stuff to Best Buy where they have an AMAZING warranty on their installs... they will even remove all of it for free whenever the hell you want them to.

+Quote Post
StevenK
post Jan 18 2005, 06:23 PM
Post #5

LS1 Powered 91Z28

Best Buy doesnt carry jack shit.

Xtreme Audio is a good shop, I've bought stuff from them before and the even resoldered one of my sub wires for me when it came loose.

And I was thinking about it.....Xtreme on S Lamar was the shop that got bought out, not alpha

--------------------
Head Flow Sheet

+Quote Post
kewl_blades
post Jan 18 2005, 06:42 PM
Post #6

ATGO Yapper

I got my head units from CAR TOYZ because they had the units a full month before anyone else got 'em. The guy that helped me out was more informed than any other place around. And yes, I checked his facts before I bought from there. The installer and manager also stayed late (2.5 hours) to make sure everything was 100% before they signed off on it.

+Quote Post
ScrapMaker
post Jan 18 2005, 07:50 PM
Post #7

ATGO Frequent

what unit did you buy, how much and how much was the labor?

I'm really just saying that the prices are rediculous....

plus I've been into Xtreme Sounds and the lead salesman is an asshole... when mp3 players first started coming out, I went in with my brother to get a deck for his '74 nova and he was real helpful, at first... then when we asked if he had any mp3 decks he said that "No Audiophile would ever listen to those wretchid things!"... needless to say I had to comment... considering that mp3 decks can play BOTH varieties of discs... but he wouldn't let it go that mp3s were so much worse than cd.. I asked him if he had ever heard an mp3 encoded at 320kbps... he had no clue what words I was saying out of my mouth... what an idiot (if you ask me)... The look on his face when I told him I was gonna come in with two cd's... 1 of the ORIGINAL cd, and one copy in 320kbps mp3 format, was wel, priceles...

I read somewhere that a 320kbps or a 230kbps WMA file is actually HIGHER quality than a cd... but I dunno really... I just know that human ears can't tell the difference.

Oh yeah, I've never been back to that shop since... If that shop was gonna hire a jackass as their sales manager, I'd rather go put my money in a garbage desposal than in that guys wallet...

And I think you mis-understood my point about Best Buy.... yes, you are correct that they carry "Jack," and I'll admit what they carry is 90% crap, but when it comes to installs, I've got no complaints... they are billion-dollar company... if they screw something up, be prepared to get some cool free stuff... like all new interior, or a new paintjob or whatever the hell they screw up... not like Alpha Audio and their "amazing" discount on tinting-- as an alternative to fixing my $200+ dashboard... asses...

I hope not all car audio shops are so expensive and rude, but I've only been to the four I've mentioned.

+Quote Post
BigBadLou
post Jan 18 2005, 09:15 PM
Post #8

Electrical Guru

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 7

Tech Writer Lending a Hand Donations award

I totally agree that Best Buy and other stores like it don't carry exactly wide variety of everything. That's not their intention.
So if I want to pick a specific unit, specific amp and specific speakers, I go online. Lots of variety there. Once I know what I need, I find it on eBay.

As for installs, I don't let anyone touch my cars. No way. I know how these things end. You guys have stories to tell. And why would I waste big money on something I can do myself and the right way?

I'm just waiting to finish my interior ... then the "fun stuff" is going in. Can't wait.

Lou

--------------------
"People suck, life blows, now that's what I call equilibrium!"

+Quote Post
kewl_blades
post Jan 18 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #9

ATGO Yapper

Kenwood excelon x859 and x959.
Salesman only had the x759 in stock. The x859 and x959 had yet to come out on the market. He sold me the x759 for a little under $400 and the following week when the x859 was released, the MSRP was $450 but he just did an even exchange because I waited and he wanted my businees back for the custom amp rack and the 2 JL 12w3D4's I was interested in. A week or 2 later the X959 was out and the MSRP was around the $500 mark...he sold it to me for the same price as the X759 ($400). I can choose which car I want the X959 in...just debating on which car.

+Quote Post
StevenK
post Jan 18 2005, 10:39 PM
Post #10

LS1 Powered 91Z28

Yeah, I don't let anyone touch my car, especially when it comes to car audio.

The day I got my car loan went something like this

0800, start the paperwork on car loan
1200, still waiting for money
1600, get the loan, go get the car
1650, get the title transfered to me
1800, go to xtreme, purchase HU, speakers, subs, amp.
1830, go to custom sounds and get my sub box.
2000, unpacked everything and called a few friends.
2200, Start install
0200, bumping down the street with my new car and new system.

:twisted:

--------------------
Head Flow Sheet

+Quote Post
ScrapMaker
post Jan 19 2005, 10:25 AM
Post #11

ATGO Frequent

are you talking about the day you bought a 'new' car, or a thirdgen?

--------------------

+Quote Post
StevenK
post Jan 19 2005, 03:13 PM
Post #12

LS1 Powered 91Z28

that day I bought my current car, two years ago

--------------------
Head Flow Sheet

+Quote Post
ScrapMaker
post Jan 19 2005, 04:00 PM
Post #13

ATGO Frequent

sounds like you had one hell of a day! smile.gif

nothing's better than the feel of a newly-acquired car... wait... or is it nothing's better than a brand new stereo system??? shoot... I guess either way you couldn't have had a bad day.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Heritage Z
post Jan 29 2005, 11:26 AM
Post #14

ATGO Frequent

Member No.: 313

I work at Ultimate Electronics at Parmer and I-35. If you guys need any a/v, security, or custom work, just gimme a shout. I can work out of my garage also, so labor is alot cheaper for ATGO.

--------------------
Jeff K.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
92 Z28 - 25th anniv Heritage Edition - Way too many mods to list. SOLD
04 Cadillac CTS - black on black, 20x8.5" Royale wheels, Eibach Pro-kit, more...
01 Supercharged Tahoe LT 12.85@105.9 (before new gears and updated pcm tune) on street tires and in full street trim @ 6000lbs -6.0 LQ9 swap, Intercooled radix s/c @ 10 lbs boost, Lingenfelter cam, LT Headers, true duals, BB pcm tune, Performabuilt Pro-Race trans, Eaton True-Trac and 4.56 gears, 24x10 wheels, 3/5 drop, LOTS more

+Quote Post
kewl_blades
post Jan 29 2005, 07:19 PM
Post #15

ATGO Yapper

will be looking into a alarm w/remote start before to long.

+Quote Post
BigBadLou
post Jan 29 2005, 09:04 PM
Post #16

Electrical Guru

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 7

Tech Writer Lending a Hand Donations award

You'll find great deals on eBay. If you get an Astra alarm, I have an extra glass breakage sensor. I got a convertible and most of the time, you won't even see my windows up. smile.gif

--------------------
"People suck, life blows, now that's what I call equilibrium!"

+Quote Post
ScrapMaker
post Jan 29 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #17

ATGO Frequent

hey heritage how much would it run me to get the window up/down module for my viper 790xv? I've never installed one, so I'd have to get you to put it in...

I know the module itself is like $99 but I've seen some really high prices at some audio shops

--------------------

+Quote Post
Heritage Z
post Jan 30 2005, 10:07 PM
Post #18

ATGO Frequent

Member No.: 313

SCRAP- I can pick up a window module for you for $60. Just stop by the store sometime and look for me. And I can install it for $50, which altogether will save you about $70 or so. Give me a heads up if you decide to stop by. 296-9104.

--------------------
Jeff K.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
92 Z28 - 25th anniv Heritage Edition - Way too many mods to list. SOLD
04 Cadillac CTS - black on black, 20x8.5" Royale wheels, Eibach Pro-kit, more...
01 Supercharged Tahoe LT 12.85@105.9 (before new gears and updated pcm tune) on street tires and in full street trim @ 6000lbs -6.0 LQ9 swap, Intercooled radix s/c @ 10 lbs boost, Lingenfelter cam, LT Headers, true duals, BB pcm tune, Performabuilt Pro-Race trans, Eaton True-Trac and 4.56 gears, 24x10 wheels, 3/5 drop, LOTS more

+Quote Post
ScrapMaker
post Feb 1 2005, 01:45 PM
Post #19

ATGO Frequent

thanks heritage

--------------------

+Quote Post
ScrapMaker
post Feb 7 2005, 10:04 AM
Post #20

ATGO Frequent

guess I'll call you on Saturday morning sometime.... what's the best time to head on over there heritage?

the reason I wouldn't want the windows to go with my alarm arm/disarm, is there are a lot of times where I am delivering, and I arm the alarm without wanting the windows to go up... I don't want to wear them out unnecessarily...

I am already using 1 output for my locks, and 1 for trunk release... so if I understand the alarm specs, I should have at least 4 more pulse/latching trigger outputs.

it would not be possible to have the window roll down when I press and hold the lock button, and roll up when I press and hold the unlock button, right? That would be so much better than actually having to hit the "AUX" button twice or whatever.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2019 - 01:28 AM