> Invented a gadget to help with battery drain! Cheap and awes
ScrapMaker
post Feb 28 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #1

ATGO Frequent

Group: Members
Member No.: 14

Cheap and Awesome!

Here's what I've come up with... it's nothing new, or special, but it's definitely going to help me out while I'm at the beach this Spring Break... as I've come across many times where I've left my stereo playing too much and I've drained the battery.

Problem: You're at the beach, you wanna hear some jams, but you don't want the hassle of watching your car the whole time.
Solution: This device will allow you to climb in car, turn key to run, then quickly back to accessory... now at any time you can pull your key out of ignition and your stereo will keep playing! Go ahead and arm your alarm, and walk away! Tunes without the troubles! (Don't forget you could have done this via remote--if you have a car alarm) -- and to keep your battery from draining, this little baby stops your stereo BEFORE your battery gets too low to start your car! I'm in love with the idea of this thing, and I can't wait to get back to Austin this weekend and actually install it! man!

[Technical Description]
To accompany my brand new 78series Optima Yellowtop, and alternator, I have created this module (not yet installed, but I have all the parts assembled.)

Goals:
Battery Drain Protection
Keyless Stereo Operation
Remote via Car Alarm Operation

Primary Functionality:
-Disconnect Ignition Power to Headunit upon reaching 11.0 volts, must stay
below 11.0 volts for 10 seconds.

Secondary Functionality:
-Run headunit after ignition is disabled, until door is opened, then closed,
(obviously unless the voltage goes below 11v)
-Allow stereo to run without key, (push to 'run', then within 2 seconds pull
back to "accessory mode". LED will start strobing to let you know its in
auto-run mode. You can pull key out of ignition and stereo will
keep playing, until: 1) Voltage drops below 11v, or 2) Key is inserted to
accessory/ignition mode for more than 5 seconds, and removed.
-Take latching output from car alarm to run stereo with no key. When activated,
the stereo will play, unless the voltage drops below 11v, when the alarm stops
sending the 12v signal, the stereo will turn off. During Remote AND Keyless
Operation, the Ultrabright LED will strobe at 5 times per second.

Connections:
Input to Module:
-Ignition 12v from car
-Accessory 12v from car
-Car Alarm Output - Latching Output from Car Alarm - Turn on Stereo
-Dome light wire from car
Output from Module to Head Unit:
-Stereo Ignition Wire (Turn-On)

Things such as controlling windows and trunk, ignition could easily be accomplished, but I have no need really--the only thing I've thought of, is to have this module actually START the car when it gets low, to keep the party going all night!... but again, I'd have to figure out how to start the car... Anyone know if I can 'trick' my Viper 790xv into starting my car for me? Basically it would run the car for about 10 minutes, then shut off, the whole time the stereo plays uninterrupted. Once the battery gets to 11 volts, the process restarts.

Do you guys think something like this would sell, or at least be desirable? I've been to car audio shops all around town, and not a single one had ANYTHING remotely resembling this..

The parts to make one of these things is less than $30, including the relay to turn on the stereo.

And I haven't forgot about the LEDS! I'm going to home depot today to get some lexan plastic!

--------------------

2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - Completely Stock

1990 Pontiac Firebird - Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
StevenK
post Mar 1 2005, 05:26 AM
Post #2

LS1 Powered 91Z28

Group: Founder
Member No.: 5

Tech Writer Lending a hand award Donation award

I would think of getting something like this if I was putting a new alarm in my car.....but I don't have the money for the kind of alarm I want.

--------------------
1991 Z-28 - LS1 & T-56 Swap - 4.10 4th Gen Rear
ARE Stage 1 Heads - 2.02" intake, 1.57" exhaust, Comp 918 Springs
Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft - 224/224 .563/.563 114 LSA
Head Flow Sheet

+Quote Post
ScrapMaker
post Mar 1 2005, 09:27 AM
Post #3

ATGO Frequent

well this works without a car alarm too... the car alarm interface is rather simple and only needed if you wanted to control the radio remotely...

without a car alarm you could still
1. protect battery drain
2. run radio without key and not have to watch car

--------------------

+Quote Post
StevenK
post Mar 1 2005, 10:16 AM
Post #4

LS1 Powered 91Z28

ohhh, in that case, yes I would like one...depends on the price

--------------------
Head Flow Sheet

+Quote Post
ScrapMaker
post Mar 1 2005, 12:54 PM
Post #5

ATGO Frequent

cool once I finish everything I'll let everyone know how much it cost for the whole project

it would be easy to transfer the code from one chip to the other, so I will work on getting the system ultra-reliable

--------------------

+Quote Post
ScrapMaker
post Mar 23 2005, 02:48 PM
Post #6

ATGO Frequent

just so you guys know... I actually have this in my car right now... it kicks ass... I can run my stereo with my keys out, and when my battery gets low... it starts my car to charge it...

this also has the ability to remotely control all aspects of my alarm via cellphone.. and can possibly let me track the car via GPS

--------------------

+Quote Post
StevenK
post Mar 23 2005, 03:23 PM
Post #7

LS1 Powered 91Z28

cool, so when are you going to start selling them?

Wanna explain what it looks like, how it works, etc?

--------------------
Head Flow Sheet

+Quote Post
ScrapMaker
post Mar 23 2005, 03:59 PM
Post #8

ATGO Frequent

I'm not sure when I'd sell them... but the one I have is designed to take the rough outdoors... its sealed and has special connectors...

if I were going to make more of them, (cheaper and more limited capabilities,) they'd be in a cheaper box, and they wouldn't have a cellphone modem, or GPS reciever.

What this does exactly is at all times when the radio is running, if the battery goes below 11 volts for like 10 seconds... it cuts off the radio until the voltage rises back above 12 volts.

if I want to run the radio with the keys out, (so I can arm my alarm,) I just pulse the ignition power 3 times, and it turns on "Keyless Mode"... my stereo turns on, (or stays on, if the ignition was already on,) then when the battery gets low, it tells my car alarm to start the motor.

Also, when I turn off my car and get out, right now I have a 5 second delay to turn off the radio... I eventually plan to have the radio stay on until I get out and close the door... but I need to add in a few more connections to do that.

It was fun as hell to use at the beach, lemme tell ya.

I'm gonna look into how cheap I can make these things.... the hardest part is building the boards... so I'll let y'all know.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Oct 12 2005, 08:01 PM
Post #9

ATGO Addict

Member No.: 97

Tech Writer

Sounds like an awesome idea! Make a few demo units, and start trying to sell them via direct and/or to car stereo/alarm/tint places!

This would be a great idea is you could have some demos in the beginning to get you started on marketing them! If you go ahead with it, I might be in the market in the future...Gotta buy a car to protect first!

+Quote Post
ScrapMaker
post Oct 13 2005, 09:14 AM
Post #10

ATGO Frequent

I'm actually in the process of re-designing the unit... my brother's company has a new type of board they use now.

My end goal would be for this to BE the alarm... it could easily do that via remote, or by cellphone. Control every aspect of the car... you could even have it tap into the ALDL of our cars, and display info on your dashboard or something.

imagine sending some preset message from your cellphone... like "full-on."

car starts, dome light comes on, headlights up(if it's dark,) stereo on/off(depending on time of day,) doors unlock, horn honks or whatever.

basically, just some SUPER alarm.

I'd love to go into business designing these things, and I bet you if I could sell them for the right price, at least local shops would probably try them out.

First I'd need to get the device to work with all of DEIs sensors and such... shouldn't be hard at all. all sensors are simple voltages...

the hardest part is getting it to receive radio commands via remote, (not cell, that's already totally implemented,) because I'd have to buy a radio TRANSiever, and make it work... still, it's something that could be done..

for now, it's really just a nice little add-on for current alarms... but can work by itself if need be. -- I could easily have it start the car via cellphone command, or from a button on the side of the car.

What I think would be bad ass is this:
- walk up to your car, OH SHIT! THERE AREN'T ANY DOOR HANDLES!!! (because they're shaved.) What the hell do you do? oh well, you COULD use the remote, if you wanted to be like everyone else... or you could tap your car door in a certain pattern... like 5 times in 6 seconds or something.. then that door pops open, lights come on, etc...

you could design it so that the alarm remote unlocks the door, but then you tap the door a few times and then they actually pop open, but only if they are unlocked.

The problem I always forsee with door poppers, is what if you don't want to open both doors, or maybe just the passenger door? Well this would solve that perfectly. Basically you would just use inductors, I think that's what they're called, but basically you could touch anywhere on the door, and it would 'sense' you're electro-magnetic field. Tap a certain pattern... like 3 taps in less than 5 seconds, and it pops open..

I don't know anyone that wouldn't be envious of that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Travis
post Oct 13 2005, 09:59 AM
Post #11

ATGO Addict

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 78

Lending a Hand

well when you get all of that stuff figuered out....mark me down for one...Those are some great ideas....id go get that shit pattened(spelling) as soon as you can.

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Oct 13 2005, 10:51 AM
Post #12

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

(ScrapMaker)
What I think would be bad ass is this:
- walk up to your car, OH SHIT! THERE AREN'T ANY DOOR HANDLES!!! (because they're shaved.) What the hell do you do? oh well, you COULD use the remote, if you wanted to be like everyone else... or you could tap your car door in a certain pattern... like 5 times in 6 seconds or something.. then that door pops open, lights come on, etc...

How about a mini fingerprint scanner in the window? That way, someone couldn't see your pattern and just repeat it!

If you can build what you alreadyhave for $30, you should be able to increase costs to around $50 or $75 but sell them for $200! Sounds like it could do a HELLUVA lot more than current alarms doing less right now. I used to know a guy who did something similar to his car. If it got hot inside, it would start itself, crack the windows if needed, and run the AC to bring the temp down inside. He had an open invitation that if you were able to drive his car away, you could have it! He was that confident in his system. I have no idea what he did, but he was more than willing to let people try. No one ever got his car! :shock:

+Quote Post
ScrapMaker
post Oct 13 2005, 11:06 AM
Post #13

ATGO Frequent

all the tapping would do is OPEN the door... not unlock it. You would need to unlock it by remote, or by cell, or I guess by some sort of pattern... I'm just saying that instead of having NO handle, you won't even care! Just tap the door 3 times and it opens up.. (if unlocked.)

Just think of it as the handle of the future... Your car has handles right now, right? Are you afraid that someone will use your handle when you're not at the car? Of course not.

The fingerprint scanner would only be possible if you had a black car... then you'd actually cut a small opening (or enlarge the lock hole,) and mount one there. If you ask me, that's overkill--plus no one else could use your remote/keys to get in...

although, if you could use EITHER the fingerprint or the remote... that would be awesome. Think about this---you're at the beach, running around... people want to go in the water, but you've got your friggin $150 2-way remote in your pocket with your key! What do you do? Oh wait, you just put them all in your car and lock the doors. Come back to your car... soaking wet... just touch the door where the pad is at---presto, doors unlock, and that one pops open... no getting remotes wet... best of all, you have no worries! When I do something like this, I try to hide my keys somewhere on the outside of the car... constantly worrying that someone will steal them and take the car.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Travis
post Oct 13 2005, 11:21 AM
Post #14

ATGO Addict

Lending a Hand

what happens when someone figueres out how to open the doors....

+Quote Post
ScrapMaker
post Oct 13 2005, 12:23 PM
Post #15

ATGO Frequent

read my above post.

tapping the door would only work like pulling on the handle...

unlocking the car by tapping would be OPTIONAL... but it's not like you'd be starting the car from there... plus you could make it so you had to put a key in or something, within 10 seconds of unlocking it by tapping... or an alarm goes off.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Travis
post Oct 13 2005, 12:29 PM
Post #16

ATGO Addict

Lending a Hand

it will only take me 10 seconds to grab what i want.....

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Oct 13 2005, 02:54 PM
Post #17

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

(Travis)
it will only take me 10 seconds to grab what i want.....

I guess that is my point...they may not steal the car, but about the contents? How often do people "just run inside, it'll only take a second!", well, that's still about twice as long as it takes for someone to steal your CD's or stereo these days!

I was wondering if a fingerprint scanner could scan through the glass, not having actual contact...retinal scan? HIGH TECH!

+Quote Post
ScrapMaker
post Oct 13 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #18

ATGO Frequent

it would only take me 5 seconds to stab you to death too...

since you are grasping for straws.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ScrapMaker
post Oct 13 2005, 03:00 PM
Post #19

ATGO Frequent

so, right now, you have a handle on your car... does this somehow make you vunerable to this guy who can steal all your stuff in less than 10 seconds? I don't understand the logic you guys are using.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Oct 13 2005, 03:01 PM
Post #20

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

(ScrapMaker)
it would only take me 5 seconds to stab you to death too...

since you are grasping for straws.

Not grasping for straws, just a real-world consideration. Didn't we have one member just this past week leaving his car unlocked and having his stereo stole because "he was just inside, and the car was in his driveway. I won't be gone for long!" Well, apparently it was too long.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2019 - 05:48 PM