Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2012 roundup
58mark
post May 30 2011, 10:01 AM
Post #1

ATGO Frequent

Group: Members
Member No.: 659

I'm not going to wait to start exploring options for this one. I prefer to keep it in central texas, between austin and georgetown

I ask two things for next years location. more parking and more shade. Every other detail is negotiable

I'd love to do something like third gen fest. check out this album of pics

http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e99/blue...;cpZZ3QQtppZZ20

We can do a restaurant, a park, a lakeside, a house with some land, or even a parking garage. obviously, any place that isn't a restaurant raises the complication of not having food and drink easily available. We'll need options and solutions for that

let's hear your ideas. it's going to be tough to top this year's roundup for content, but of course I expect to top it in the numbers of cars.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stephen
post May 30 2011, 12:21 PM
Post #2

ATGO Addict

Member No.: 97

Tech Writer

For food/drink/bathroom access, I suggest a large parking lot like a shopping sized, even if it means a little extra walk to the food/drink/restrooms.

Catering to something like the garage downtown (not suggesting downtown, just th "indoor'/shaded style of it) gives up food/drinks, but a more limited source of that. At least at Duke's, we could walk back inside for free drink refills (iced tea).

Not who would want to open up their house to 50-75+ strangers from all over Texas, for kitchen/restroom access.

I know we could rent a park pavilion, either indoor or just outdoor shade, but also means $ which means Registration fees. I know we are trying to keep it as free (except gas & food) as possible.

Round Rock has some nice facilities & would shift the location a little further south, but not sure if that would effect the very northern state attendees, like from Arlington area.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

Harwood Cowl Induction hood~4th gen rear wing~Ground Control Weight Jacks front & rear~180 deg thermostat~TSP Rumbler Magnaflow cat-back~UMI rod ended LCAs & PHB~275/315 17" ROH Snypers~"custom" CAI~Alson SFCs~IROC Wonderbar~UMI Billet tie rod adjusters~Sylvania Silver Star headlights & fog lights (fog light shield removed~Fogs w/Highs on mod

2" shackle drop rear~Volant CAI~Dynomax 39310 Ultra Flow Cat-back~JVC single DIN USB port deck~Duplicolor exterior paint matched interior pieces

+Quote Post
Albani
post May 30 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #3

Car Crazy Canadian

Member No.: 317

I wonder how many cars were at Third Gen Fest this year? No sunshine and looks like cold weather. The set up we had looks way better then what they had in my opinion. I saw the twin of Manny's Z28 on pic 55 of 71.

+Quote Post
Stephen
post May 30 2011, 01:44 PM
Post #4

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

A hour after they left (earlier than planned) they got some serious rain & that yard was really flooded with standing water in the grass.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

Harwood Cowl Induction hood~4th gen rear wing~Ground Control Weight Jacks front & rear~180 deg thermostat~TSP Rumbler Magnaflow cat-back~UMI rod ended LCAs & PHB~275/315 17" ROH Snypers~"custom" CAI~Alson SFCs~IROC Wonderbar~UMI Billet tie rod adjusters~Sylvania Silver Star headlights & fog lights (fog light shield removed~Fogs w/Highs on mod

2" shackle drop rear~Volant CAI~Dynomax 39310 Ultra Flow Cat-back~JVC single DIN USB port deck~Duplicolor exterior paint matched interior pieces

+Quote Post
58mark
post May 30 2011, 02:50 PM
Post #5

ATGO Frequent

I think they had around 65. last year they had 77. I think we're doing great for something that doesn't have retail store attached to it, and is only in its second year. they've been doing it for TEN

To stephen's point. Round rock would be fine, so would north austin. another 10-20 miles isn't going to make a bit of difference to somebody traveling all that way anyway.

I LOVED our photoshoot location this year. Between the great group shot we got (could have been better if I had planned it out in advance) and having protection against potential rain, it's going to be hard not making that a default, every year event.

something else to think about is to have the roundup and the photoshoot closer together... 5-10 minutes. we lost so many DFW people who bailed rather than drive 30 minutes south, and then 30 minutes back up north. to get right back where they started from. that being said, if that 30 minute drive was incorporated into the roundup at the beginning and not "optional" it would not have been an issue

KWIM?

let's look at north austin, in the 183 area. for sure between round rock and 183. hell, i'm driving to san antonio TOMORROW. If somebody wants to throw out some ideas fast, I'll drive by tomorrow and check them out. unfortunately, I'm heading to houston from SA, so catching places on the way back is not an option

HELP!

--------------------

+Quote Post
zimmstoy
post May 30 2011, 05:27 PM
Post #6

ATGO Frequent

Member No.: 3

Some ideas:

Park 1:
There is a neat little park in Round Rock called Old Settlers Park. Went to a car meet out there years ago (actually first time I met Stephen) and it was real nice. We did some BBQ and just hung out. They have lots of spots out there that can be rented. I am all for catering in rather than having someone get stuck cooking food.

There are plenty of food / parking lot places that have some shade that we can likely get in with. Let me think about this a little bit and see what I can come up with in that arena. How would you guys feel about getting a little bigger place and opening it up to more types of cars from the beloved 80's time period?

--------------------
Thanks,
Scott

92 Z28 Convertible - Sold
87 Monte Carlo SS Turbo Project - Jet Black!

+Quote Post
58mark
post May 30 2011, 07:02 PM
Post #7

ATGO Frequent

other cars and and owners can come to enjoy the sites, but as far as "perks" like photoshoots and raffles go, I amvery firm against it. there are too many other groups (NTTGA for one) that are third gen organizations that have been invaded by other makes and models

it's not the 80's car roundup, it's the thirdgen roundup. The idea is to support, encourage, and promote thirdgens and their owners

is old settlers the place by saltlick? might be a good option. I like the fact that saltlick is next to the dell diamond. could be a cool group outing afterwards.

--------------------

+Quote Post
58mark
post May 30 2011, 07:21 PM
Post #8

ATGO Frequent

I think I'm going to eat dinner at saltlick tomorrow, unless somebody can tip me off to a better place.

does old settlers have covers pavilions that a group can get for the day? It looks more like a Baseball/soccer type of complex

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stephen
post May 30 2011, 07:48 PM
Post #9

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

It is a place I talked about for this year.... Old Settler's Park

It has tables, but apparently no big covered set of tables for us, unlike Georgetown has.

Round Rock does have rental facilities though.....Rental Facitilities

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

+Quote Post
58mark
post May 30 2011, 07:58 PM
Post #10

ATGO Frequent

Lakeview Pavilion at Old Settlers Park at Palm Valley
Lakeview Pavilion is surrounded by picnic areas, a playground, grills, shuffleboard, and horseshoe pits. This facility includes a restroom facility. The Lakeview pavilion area is popular for city festivals and events and is ideal for an outdoor picnic, company party or family event. Pavilion Rental Use & Responsibilities Memo

Rental Fee for Lakeview Pavilion

Resident: $100 per day
$100 refundable litter damage
Non-resident: $125 per day
$100 refundable litter damage

this looks like a covered pavilion.. is it not?

http://www.roundrocktexas.gov/home/index.asp?page=214

--------------------

+Quote Post
58mark
post May 30 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #11

ATGO Frequent

this has potential... covered area, play area for kids, restrooms, parking for close to 80. (more if we get creative)

--------------------

+Quote Post
flu_by_u
post May 30 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #12

1989 Firebird Formula 350 5.7L TPI

Member No.: 376

SE Metro Park
I still think we should look at Southeast Metropolitan Park. It has a huge pavilion and huge parking. It is located near the airport. As for food, I still think we could do hamburgers and hotdogs. Then, we could have every one bring thir own drinks or everyone bring drinks to throw in a giant cooler. I am a fan of the park idea just because it seems more eventful. The restraunt leaves us all separated in/out doors. As for photoshoot, Del Valle HS has a fighter jet mounted in their parking lot. Neat photo-op!!!! The HS is 5min from the park.

--------------------
-AKA R.J.-

+Quote Post
58mark
post May 30 2011, 08:34 PM
Post #13

ATGO Frequent

QUOTE(flu_by_u @ May 30 2011, 08:29 PM) *
I still think we should look at Southeast Metropolitan Park. It has a huge pavilion and huge parking. It is located near the airport. As for food, I still think we could do hamburgers and hotdogs. Then, we could have every one bring thir own drinks or everyone bring drinks to throw in a giant cooler. I am a fan of the park idea just because it seems more eventful. The restraunt leaves us all separated in/out doors.

thanks! looking it up now

--------------------

+Quote Post
58mark
post May 30 2011, 08:44 PM
Post #14

ATGO Frequent

woah.

now THAT'S a freaking PARKING LOT

the question is, can we get it reserved just for us, or are we going to be sharing it with tballers and soccer moms?

LOVE the fighter idea. how cool!

--------------------

+Quote Post
flu_by_u
post May 30 2011, 08:51 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(58mark @ May 30 2011, 08:44 PM) *
woah.

now THAT'S a freaking PARKING LOT

the question is, can we get it reserved just for us, or are we going to be sharing it with tballers and soccer moms?

LOVE the fighter idea. how cool!

I can find out, maybe even a portion of it reserved. If not, then I'll use the "good ol boy" method and slip the parks/rec worker a $20 to get it reserved. I know lots of city workers

--------------------
-AKA R.J.-

+Quote Post
58mark
post May 30 2011, 08:52 PM
Post #16

ATGO Frequent

QUOTE(flu_by_u @ May 30 2011, 08:51 PM) *
I can find out, maybe even a portion of it reserved. If not, then I'll use the "good ol boy" method and slip the parks/rec worker a $20 to get it reserved. I know lots of city workers

ROFL

go to work, you da man!

--------------------

+Quote Post
flu_by_u
post May 30 2011, 09:00 PM
Post #17

Now the only other issue is food. I can get "someone" to make the sides (potato salad, rice, beans) for sure and enough for all of us. We'd only need to find a solution to the meats.

--------------------
-AKA R.J.-

+Quote Post
58mark
post May 30 2011, 09:02 PM
Post #18

ATGO Frequent

QUOTE(flu_by_u @ May 30 2011, 09:00 PM) *
Now the only other issue is food. I can get "someone" to make the sides (potato salad, rice, beans) for sure and enough for all of us. We'd only need to find a solution to the meats.

robbie and I have a plan to raise some seed money that we can then put back into the roundup. if that doesn't work, I'll front it myself and charge a $5 per head registration for participants to cover cost.

none of this $45 registration like other people do. that's nuts

--------------------

+Quote Post
flu_by_u
post May 30 2011, 09:12 PM
Post #19

So that would cover park pavilion fee and meats? The rice, beans, potato salads I can get.

--------------------
-AKA R.J.-

+Quote Post
58mark
post May 30 2011, 09:15 PM
Post #20

ATGO Frequent

yeah, i'll take care of covering that. not a problem.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2017 - 04:25 PM