Reply to this topicStart new topic
> fuel pump fuse blows
slowboy
post May 31 2015, 08:54 AM
Post #1

ATGO Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,390

ok...hope this is where I should be, probably not, but didn't see what/where I needed to be...

1990 Camaro blowing fuel pump fuse when I turn ignition switch to on position
have felt and looked the best I can for bad wires and haven't found any
have seen some post that suggest check this and check that, but doesn't say how to test for voltage, amps ect.
just wondering if any one will help me get this car straightened out
there has to be a wire loose or touching metal...but the problem will go away when I start tugging twisting pushing
and pulling on wiring underneath hood...then comes back if car hits a bump or hole
I have tried checking for continuity at fuel pump fuse holder while wiggling wires and harness...when I turn meter on
it shows a [ 1 ] and never changes while wiggling wires/harnesses...
I want to check for voltage at fuel pump relay's orange and gray wires while wiggling wires, but don't know if ignition switch should be in on position or off...

slowboy
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigBadLou
post Jun 9 2015, 01:42 PM
Post #2

Electrical Guru

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 7

Tech Writer Lending a Hand Donations award

One way to find the break in the wire would be by using either a test light or a sound device (meter with a diode/ringer setting).
You would need to unplug the fuel pump, ECM, and connect a test light between constant power and the fuel pump wire (on the relay, let's say).
The fuel pump wire will have no connection to power or ground. So the light should be off.
Then while wiggling the wires, if there is a short to ground, the light will come on. Use the light as feedback to find the location that needs wiggling more and where the break might be.

Hope this helps.
Lou

--------------------
"People suck, life blows, now that's what I call equilibrium!"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2019 - 11:54 PM