Stephen
post Jan 4 2011, 12:54 AM
Post #1

ATGO Addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 97

Tech Writer

EDIT: Here is the link on TGO. 2nd Annual Texas Statewide Gathering, 2011

We ready to do this? I'm thinking much earlier in the year, like in Spring. It was WAY, WAY, WAY too hot last year! Defiately more shade vs just in an open parking lot.

Do we just do a simple hang-out gathering like last year? Or do we want to do Awards type stuff? That would mean $ for registration, to cover the cost for awards & such. Rental location? Pretty sure I can get us a good deal on those, through one of my old jobs that does trophies/award plaques/etc. I KNOW I can get good deals on banners, that could be reused from year to year, by only changing out the lettering (numbers for the year) or any graphic we wanted to put on there.

I know I could set us up with a good photographer, just dunno what he'd charge us. But I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind doing photo shoots for attendees & selling the pics.

I'm gonna run this thread for a week, maybe 2 before posting on TGO about it.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

Harwood Cowl Induction hood~4th gen rear wing~Ground Control Weight Jacks front & rear~180 deg thermostat~TSP Rumbler Magnaflow cat-back~UMI rod ended LCAs & PHB~275/315 17" ROH Snypers~"custom" CAI~Alson SFCs~IROC Wonderbar~UMI Billet tie rod adjusters~Sylvania Silver Star headlights & fog lights (fog light shield removed~Fogs w/Highs on mod

2" shackle drop rear~Volant CAI~Dynomax 39310 Ultra Flow Cat-back~JVC single DIN USB port deck~Duplicolor exterior paint matched interior pieces
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
58mark
post Jan 4 2011, 07:00 AM
Post #2

ATGO Frequent

Member No.: 659

cool... subscribing so I get the details. Let me know what ya'll decide, and I'll help spread the word to north texas

I was thinking about a DFW gathering on March 19th, but I'll gladly concede that date if it works good for all of you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
58mark
post Jan 4 2011, 08:59 AM
Post #3

ATGO Frequent

you know guys, for all the discussion and hype about the famous "thirdgenfest" in Crete, IL.. last year they only had 70 cars there.

In its very first year the texas gathering had half of that. If somebody can come up with a cool concept for what they want this thing to look like, long term, it could be built into a southern USA event that people talk about year round.

I could see people coming from at least 500 miles away to come to this, including OK, LA, AR ,and NM. I think having judges, prizes, and sponsors could really help.

I have alsmot unlimited bandwidtth available on my server. If anybody wants to come up with an available domain name that I can register and create a website for, I'll do it

--------------------

+Quote Post
1fas92
post Jan 4 2011, 09:33 AM
Post #4

ATGO Post-Lazy

Member No.: 668

Hello,
I can provide name tags again if everyone liked the ones I did last year. They were kinda last minute but seemed to work out okay.

Depending on how big this gets special event shirts would be cool also!

Let me Know

Later,
Robbie Sheffield
1fas92

--------------------
Thanks,
Robbie Sheffield
1fas92
Visit my vBGarage 1fas92
My ls1 swap is here: >>>>
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ltx-lsx/...tml#post4844334

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jan 4 2011, 10:27 AM
Post #5

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

QUOTE(1fas92 @ Jan 4 2011, 08:33 AM) *
Hello,
I can provide name tags again if everyone liked the ones I did last year. They were kinda last minute but seemed to work out okay.

Depending on how big this gets special event shirts would be cool also!

Let me Know
Later,
Robbie Sheffield
1fas92

I did like having name tags. No "And you are....?"

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

Harwood Cowl Induction hood~4th gen rear wing~Ground Control Weight Jacks front & rear~180 deg thermostat~TSP Rumbler Magnaflow cat-back~UMI rod ended LCAs & PHB~275/315 17" ROH Snypers~"custom" CAI~Alson SFCs~IROC Wonderbar~UMI Billet tie rod adjusters~Sylvania Silver Star headlights & fog lights (fog light shield removed~Fogs w/Highs on mod

2" shackle drop rear~Volant CAI~Dynomax 39310 Ultra Flow Cat-back~JVC single DIN USB port deck~Duplicolor exterior paint matched interior pieces

+Quote Post
1fas92
post Jan 4 2011, 10:36 AM
Post #6

ATGO Post-Lazy

Member No.: 668

QUOTE(Stephen @ Jan 4 2011, 10:27 AM) *
I did like having name tags. No "And you are....?"

I am Robbie aka "1fas92" from nttga.net

http://www.nttga.net/forums/garage-vehicle...CAMARO-Z28.html

--------------------
Thanks,
Robbie Sheffield
1fas92
Visit my vBGarage 1fas92
My ls1 swap is here: >>>>
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/ltx-lsx/...tml#post4844334

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jan 4 2011, 10:43 AM
Post #7

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

QUOTE(1fas92 @ Jan 4 2011, 09:36 AM) *

I know...I meant at the state meet seeing people, talking to them yet not knowing who I was talking to at first. Appreciated the name tags & I'm all for them again.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

+Quote Post
flu_by_u
post Jan 4 2011, 11:12 AM
Post #8

1989 Firebird Formula 350 5.7L TPI

Member No.: 376

Thanks for starting this thread Stephen, I know I had mentioned in the 2010 TGO Texas Statewide Meet Thread that I would start a thread, but was waiting for a good time. I think the same spot I mentioned before would be a good spot. Its a new HUGE park in SE Austin, easy access to all major highways, pavilion for shade and lots of parking(see photo). I can still ask my cousin with the body shop to sponsor the pavilion rental fees or start a pot for donations, but this would have to be determined early. Also, for food we need to decide about pot-luck or putting together a pool of $ for food. I'm fine w/ hotdogs and
Summary:
Website: http://www.co.travis.tx.us/tnr/parks/southeast_metro.asp
Map: Google Map of Southeast Metro Park
Features: Shelter, Restrooms, Playscape, Fishing pond, power outlet, big BBQ pit, plenty of parking!
Shelter Fee: $75 per day + $10 non-refundable fee + $50 deposit
$135 up front
$85 after deposit refund.
*Satellite photo attached. We could find a sponsor to cover the shelter costs(I used to do this alot when coaching little league) and take volunteers for meat to grill.

Here's what I think needs to happen, listed in chronological order:
1) Decide on date, depending on whats available.
2) Find sponsor for park fees.
3) Call and reserve park shelter for date decided upon.
4) Try to find sponsor for food. (Maybe sponsor for food/ shelter).
5) Further planning between local clubs/orgs for attendance and road trip.
Reason for edit: Corrected a bad link.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
-AKA R.J.-

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jan 4 2011, 12:20 PM
Post #9

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

My concern with that location, is that it is very much off the Interstate. Duke's was great for its ease of access, for the out-of-town people. Not bad IF people use the Toll Road I guess, but I'm not gonna require anyone to pay just to drive on a road, when there are already plenty of roads that our taxes have paid for. Don't get me started on toll roads like 620, that OUR money already built, but were turned into toll roads to collect even more money.

Seems like we could find something closer to I35.

I started this thread because I was starting to get people asking about the 2011 State Gathering.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

+Quote Post
flu_by_u
post Jan 4 2011, 12:28 PM
Post #10

The park is on HWY71, ~10min from IH35, ~10min from HWY183, which means pretty much in Austin. People could use the toll road but its not like the park is on the toll road.

--------------------
-AKA R.J.-

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jan 4 2011, 01:06 PM
Post #11

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

QUOTE(flu_by_u @ Jan 4 2011, 11:28 AM) *
The park is on HWY71, ~10min from IH35, ~10min from HWY183, which means pretty much in Austin. People could use the toll road but its not like the park is on the toll road.

It can't be 10 min for 183 AND 10 min from I35. Impossible. 183 is in between the park & I35. And no way it is 10 min from I35. So maybe 10 min from 183 & 20 min to I35.

Some people will have already driven for hours. 20 min may not be much, but lets not drag out their driving any further than needed. People already objected to using the Toll Road last year, so they won't quite like using it this year either.

I appreciate your suggestion, but that is not quite what will work for this.

I know there aren't any parks right on I35, so we'll have to settle on something off the interstate, but I know we can find something closer in. There is on not 100 feet from I35 by Parmer & Lamar. Equal(ish) travel from people coming from North & South of Austin.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

+Quote Post
flu_by_u
post Jan 4 2011, 02:45 PM
Post #12

HWY183 to the park is 6.2miles.

IH35 to the park is 10.2miles

~15min to park from IH35, 40% of that time if coming down/up from HWY183.
I'm sure people would be willing to "drag" the drive out more for convenience, shade, parking, clean restrooms, and more grass for activities.

--------------------
-AKA R.J.-

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jan 4 2011, 04:51 PM
Post #13

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

QUOTE(flu_by_u @ Jan 4 2011, 01:45 PM) *
HWY183 to the park is 6.2miles.

IH35 to the park is 10.2miles

~15min to park from IH35, 40% of that time if coming down/up from HWY183.
I'm sure people would be willing to "drag" the drive out more for convenience, shade, parking, clean restrooms, and more grass for activities.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm still gonna look more centralized or north, since the majority of out-of-town travelers would be coming from longer distances & from the north.

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

+Quote Post
flu_by_u
post Jan 4 2011, 05:07 PM
Post #14

I need out-a-towners' input so I can ask my cousin if he will cover the park fee. I don't want to ask w/o deciding on a location. I'm sure he will want to take out one of his trophy winning rides as advertisement.

--------------------
-AKA R.J.-

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jan 4 2011, 06:00 PM
Post #15

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

QUOTE(flu_by_u @ Jan 4 2011, 04:07 PM) *
I need out-a-towners' input so I can ask my cousin if he will cover the park fee. I don't want to ask w/o deciding on a location. I'm sure he will want to take out one of his trophy winning rides as advertisement.

PM sent.....

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

+Quote Post
flu_by_u
post Jan 4 2011, 06:10 PM
Post #16

I am willing to put in work to make this gathering turnout as-good if not better than last years. Let me know if my help is needed. As of now, I am sitting aside to let the "creator of the gathering" drive.

--------------------
-AKA R.J.-

+Quote Post
58mark
post Jan 5 2011, 07:53 AM
Post #17

ATGO Frequent

If you want a park, what about san gabriel in georgetown?

or old settlers park in Round rock?

--------------------

+Quote Post
flu_by_u
post Jan 5 2011, 08:06 AM
Post #18

I haven't been to those parks in about 10yrs. From the google satellite photos, they look fine. The only problem I see w/ them is not alot of parking. That may have changed since the satellite photos were taken. I only say park, because it is a good, chill environment. Good for games, kids, and pets.

--------------------
-AKA R.J.-

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Jan 5 2011, 09:32 AM
Post #19

ATGO Addict

Tech Writer

QUOTE(58mark @ Jan 5 2011, 06:53 AM) *
If you want a park, what about san gabriel in georgetown?

or old settlers park in Round rock?

San Gabriel is just 2 minutes from Duke's, so real easy to find. For $70, we can get covered seating for 75-100 people, a BBQ pit & our own parking area. $50 without the BBQ pit.

But if we cooked our own food.....Who is going to do the cooking? Who is gonna bring the plates? Forks? Knives? Drink cups? Liquids to drink? Meat? Sides? Who is gonna prepare the sides? Ice chests for the food & drinking? Ice for food & drinks? Lots of little things to add up. One reason we didn't try that last year.

I say that we just have Duke's (or whoever) cater it.

At Old Settler's Park, only 1 of their places has restrooms for $100, the other gets porta-potties if you rent those. Old Settlers Park is where the first ATGO meet was held out a LONG time ago (before StevenK was even involved & ATGO kinda fell apart then StevenK brought it back together).

--------------------
My 4Sale Stuff

+Quote Post
58mark
post Jan 5 2011, 09:40 AM
Post #20

ATGO Frequent

I like what I'm hearing, what are your ideas for how to pay for the food from dukes. that's always been a big sticking point

--------------------

+Quote Post

21 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2018 - 05:49 AM