Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Troubleshooting some 92 FB issues
juju
post Aug 23 2013, 08:23 PM
Post #1

ATGO Post-Lazy

Group: Members
Member No.: 635

I was going to have a friend come check out my 92 bird this week, but he messed up his hand pretty bad, so I don't want him to strain it for now.
But I had some engine work done (front manifold kit and such), and ever since I brought it home it's been overheating, which wasn't an issue before I took it in. The AC was also suddenly not working, but we were able to resolve that ourselves. I had the work done since there was an oil leak at the front of the engine (minor, but I didn't want to delay until it was worse). So when I got home to see it was overheating and checked initially, the coolant reservoir was empty. I assumed they maybe forgot to fill it and did so myself (this shop forgot to put the rear brakes on the last time I took it in and had paid them for it so...yeh it was very possible). Now it seems to run for about 20 minutes before it gets close to overheating, stalling, and smoke coming through the vents and out from one side of the hood. The first thing I had noticed was it made some odd bubbling sound only when I accelerated. I don't see any coolant leakage anywhere, but I also have a gravel driveway making it hard to see. The reservoir keeps draining pretty low each time I run her around a few blocks and I don't know where the heck it's going.
What should I be checking for at this point? It's a bit frustrating that I had a shop do some engine work to prevent overheating, and that's exactly what's happening now. x.x It's a v8, automatic.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kewl_blades
post Aug 24 2013, 09:44 AM
Post #2

ATGO Yapper

Member No.: 8

What exactly was done at the shop? What is a front manifold kit?

+Quote Post
flu_by_u
post Aug 28 2013, 06:27 AM
Post #3

1989 Firebird Formula 350 5.7L TPI

Member No.: 376

Check your oil and see what color it is.

--------------------
-AKA R.J.-

+Quote Post
juju
post Aug 28 2013, 05:28 PM
Post #4

ATGO Post-Lazy

The oil looks good from when I checked last week. Let's see what's in the paperwork...they replaced the intake manifold gasket on the front since it was leaking. Some other things listed in the paperwork just include the front brakes being replaced, thermostat gasket, egr valve gasket, throttle body gasket, differential cover gasket, and various fluids being replaced. There's like 9 pages of photos and info on what they worked on or checked for. ^^0 The only other thing that seems to stand out is they said there was a large amount of carbon build up seen when taking out the intake assembly that they cleaned out.

+Quote Post
wrnglrx
post Aug 29 2013, 02:35 PM
Post #5

ATGO Post-Lazy

Member No.: 1,237

so it says thermostat gasket but no thermostat replacement? Sounds like you have an air pocket in the block. Have you tried running the car with the rad cap off to see if the thermostat is opening? the fluid should be pretty still while warming up then as it gets to temp it should start swirling around in the radiator as the tstat opens. while it's doing so you can top it off if the retards draing all the coolant and didn't replace the correct amount if they drained the block and radiator.

+Quote Post
juju
post Sep 2 2013, 01:57 PM
Post #6

ATGO Post-Lazy

QUOTE(wrnglrx @ Aug 29 2013, 02:35 PM) *
so it says thermostat gasket but no thermostat replacement? Sounds like you have an air pocket in the block. Have you tried running the car with the rad cap off to see if the thermostat is opening? the fluid should be pretty still while warming up then as it gets to temp it should start swirling around in the radiator as the tstat opens. while it's doing so you can top it off if the retards draing all the coolant and didn't replace the correct amount if they drained the block and radiator.

Yeh we definitely had to put in about a gallon and a half of coolant initially. One of the hose clamps they put on was pretty loose, so we replaced it with a tighter one to make sure it's not leaking. Thermostat checks out for now, but it seems the fan is shutting off after about 20-30 minutes of driving. I had that replaced a few years ago, so it might just be dying already. Once I replace that, we'll see if that's the only problem. Fingers crossed. tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th September 2019 - 06:49 AM