Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Second Annual Texas State Gathering, 2011
AustinThirdGen.Org > ATGO Forums > Gatherings & Events
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Stephen
EDIT: Here is the link on TGO. 2nd Annual Texas Statewide Gathering, 2011

We ready to do this? I'm thinking much earlier in the year, like in Spring. It was WAY, WAY, WAY too hot last year! Defiately more shade vs just in an open parking lot.

Do we just do a simple hang-out gathering like last year? Or do we want to do Awards type stuff? That would mean $ for registration, to cover the cost for awards & such. Rental location? Pretty sure I can get us a good deal on those, through one of my old jobs that does trophies/award plaques/etc. I KNOW I can get good deals on banners, that could be reused from year to year, by only changing out the lettering (numbers for the year) or any graphic we wanted to put on there.

I know I could set us up with a good photographer, just dunno what he'd charge us. But I'm pretty sure he wouldn't mind doing photo shoots for attendees & selling the pics.

I'm gonna run this thread for a week, maybe 2 before posting on TGO about it.
58mark
cool... subscribing so I get the details. Let me know what ya'll decide, and I'll help spread the word to north texas

I was thinking about a DFW gathering on March 19th, but I'll gladly concede that date if it works good for all of you.

58mark
you know guys, for all the discussion and hype about the famous "thirdgenfest" in Crete, IL.. last year they only had 70 cars there.

In its very first year the texas gathering had half of that. If somebody can come up with a cool concept for what they want this thing to look like, long term, it could be built into a southern USA event that people talk about year round.

I could see people coming from at least 500 miles away to come to this, including OK, LA, AR ,and NM. I think having judges, prizes, and sponsors could really help.

I have alsmot unlimited bandwidtth available on my server. If anybody wants to come up with an available domain name that I can register and create a website for, I'll do it

1fas92
Hello,
I can provide name tags again if everyone liked the ones I did last year. They were kinda last minute but seemed to work out okay.

Depending on how big this gets special event shirts would be cool also!

Let me Know

Later,
Robbie Sheffield
1fas92
Stephen
QUOTE(1fas92 @ Jan 4 2011, 08:33 AM) *
Hello,
I can provide name tags again if everyone liked the ones I did last year. They were kinda last minute but seemed to work out okay.

Depending on how big this gets special event shirts would be cool also!

Let me Know
Later,
Robbie Sheffield
1fas92

I did like having name tags. No "And you are....?"
1fas92
QUOTE(Stephen @ Jan 4 2011, 10:27 AM) *
I did like having name tags. No "And you are....?"

I am Robbie aka "1fas92" from nttga.net

http://www.nttga.net/forums/garage-vehicle...CAMARO-Z28.html
Stephen
QUOTE(1fas92 @ Jan 4 2011, 09:36 AM) *

I know...I meant at the state meet seeing people, talking to them yet not knowing who I was talking to at first. Appreciated the name tags & I'm all for them again.
flu_by_u
Thanks for starting this thread Stephen, I know I had mentioned in the 2010 TGO Texas Statewide Meet Thread that I would start a thread, but was waiting for a good time. I think the same spot I mentioned before would be a good spot. Its a new HUGE park in SE Austin, easy access to all major highways, pavilion for shade and lots of parking(see photo). I can still ask my cousin with the body shop to sponsor the pavilion rental fees or start a pot for donations, but this would have to be determined early. Also, for food we need to decide about pot-luck or putting together a pool of $ for food. I'm fine w/ hotdogs and
Summary:
Website: http://www.co.travis.tx.us/tnr/parks/southeast_metro.asp
Map: Google Map of Southeast Metro Park
Features: Shelter, Restrooms, Playscape, Fishing pond, power outlet, big BBQ pit, plenty of parking!
Shelter Fee: $75 per day + $10 non-refundable fee + $50 deposit
$135 up front
$85 after deposit refund.
*Satellite photo attached. We could find a sponsor to cover the shelter costs(I used to do this alot when coaching little league) and take volunteers for meat to grill.

Here's what I think needs to happen, listed in chronological order:
1) Decide on date, depending on whats available.
2) Find sponsor for park fees.
3) Call and reserve park shelter for date decided upon.
4) Try to find sponsor for food. (Maybe sponsor for food/ shelter).
5) Further planning between local clubs/orgs for attendance and road trip.
Stephen
My concern with that location, is that it is very much off the Interstate. Duke's was great for its ease of access, for the out-of-town people. Not bad IF people use the Toll Road I guess, but I'm not gonna require anyone to pay just to drive on a road, when there are already plenty of roads that our taxes have paid for. Don't get me started on toll roads like 620, that OUR money already built, but were turned into toll roads to collect even more money.

Seems like we could find something closer to I35.

I started this thread because I was starting to get people asking about the 2011 State Gathering.
flu_by_u
The park is on HWY71, ~10min from IH35, ~10min from HWY183, which means pretty much in Austin. People could use the toll road but its not like the park is on the toll road.
Stephen
QUOTE(flu_by_u @ Jan 4 2011, 11:28 AM) *
The park is on HWY71, ~10min from IH35, ~10min from HWY183, which means pretty much in Austin. People could use the toll road but its not like the park is on the toll road.

It can't be 10 min for 183 AND 10 min from I35. Impossible. 183 is in between the park & I35. And no way it is 10 min from I35. So maybe 10 min from 183 & 20 min to I35.

Some people will have already driven for hours. 20 min may not be much, but lets not drag out their driving any further than needed. People already objected to using the Toll Road last year, so they won't quite like using it this year either.

I appreciate your suggestion, but that is not quite what will work for this.

I know there aren't any parks right on I35, so we'll have to settle on something off the interstate, but I know we can find something closer in. There is on not 100 feet from I35 by Parmer & Lamar. Equal(ish) travel from people coming from North & South of Austin.
flu_by_u
HWY183 to the park is 6.2miles.

IH35 to the park is 10.2miles

~15min to park from IH35, 40% of that time if coming down/up from HWY183.
I'm sure people would be willing to "drag" the drive out more for convenience, shade, parking, clean restrooms, and more grass for activities.
Stephen
QUOTE(flu_by_u @ Jan 4 2011, 01:45 PM) *
HWY183 to the park is 6.2miles.

IH35 to the park is 10.2miles

~15min to park from IH35, 40% of that time if coming down/up from HWY183.
I'm sure people would be willing to "drag" the drive out more for convenience, shade, parking, clean restrooms, and more grass for activities.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm still gonna look more centralized or north, since the majority of out-of-town travelers would be coming from longer distances & from the north.
flu_by_u
I need out-a-towners' input so I can ask my cousin if he will cover the park fee. I don't want to ask w/o deciding on a location. I'm sure he will want to take out one of his trophy winning rides as advertisement.
Stephen
QUOTE(flu_by_u @ Jan 4 2011, 04:07 PM) *
I need out-a-towners' input so I can ask my cousin if he will cover the park fee. I don't want to ask w/o deciding on a location. I'm sure he will want to take out one of his trophy winning rides as advertisement.

PM sent.....
flu_by_u
I am willing to put in work to make this gathering turnout as-good if not better than last years. Let me know if my help is needed. As of now, I am sitting aside to let the "creator of the gathering" drive.
58mark
If you want a park, what about san gabriel in georgetown?

or old settlers park in Round rock?

flu_by_u
I haven't been to those parks in about 10yrs. From the google satellite photos, they look fine. The only problem I see w/ them is not alot of parking. That may have changed since the satellite photos were taken. I only say park, because it is a good, chill environment. Good for games, kids, and pets.
Stephen
QUOTE(58mark @ Jan 5 2011, 06:53 AM) *
If you want a park, what about san gabriel in georgetown?

or old settlers park in Round rock?

San Gabriel is just 2 minutes from Duke's, so real easy to find. For $70, we can get covered seating for 75-100 people, a BBQ pit & our own parking area. $50 without the BBQ pit.

But if we cooked our own food.....Who is going to do the cooking? Who is gonna bring the plates? Forks? Knives? Drink cups? Liquids to drink? Meat? Sides? Who is gonna prepare the sides? Ice chests for the food & drinking? Ice for food & drinks? Lots of little things to add up. One reason we didn't try that last year.

I say that we just have Duke's (or whoever) cater it.

At Old Settler's Park, only 1 of their places has restrooms for $100, the other gets porta-potties if you rent those. Old Settlers Park is where the first ATGO meet was held out a LONG time ago (before StevenK was even involved & ATGO kinda fell apart then StevenK brought it back together).
58mark
I like what I'm hearing, what are your ideas for how to pay for the food from dukes. that's always been a big sticking point
Stephen
QUOTE(58mark @ Jan 5 2011, 08:40 AM) *
I like what I'm hearing, what are your ideas for how to pay for the food from dukes. that's always been a big sticking point

RJ thinks he can get Sponsors. I don't think we could possibly count on that & certainly not without knowing the number of people coming

For catered food & park rental, I say we charge a Registration Fee & if we wanna do awards/trophies, we need to get Classes & Judges. Getting Trophies/Awards made isn't a problem, since my old job does that stuff all the time. Pretty sure they won't do it for free/sponsor that part, since that is what they do for business, make that kinda stuff. They have bills & employees.
58mark
do what you can but remember this. I think the only beef anybody have the dukes last year was the heat. avoid the summer months and you could have all the best parts of last year without the worst by keeping it at dukes.

Stephen
QUOTE(58mark @ Jan 5 2011, 09:06 AM) *
do what you can but remember this. I think the only beef anybody have the dukes last year was the heat. avoid the summer months and you could have all the best parts of last year without the worst by keeping it at dukes.

Cheaper on everyone too.
flu_by_u
Yes heat was a BIG problem. Fall sounds good. Duke's sounds good for food. I don't remember much about parking at Duke's, but was there enough parking for more attendance than last yrs? Also, what if we had food at Duke's then a cruise to the park of choice so we can play some games. I'm a big fan of washers, horse shoes, volleyball. That means no need to raise money for food, use trees for shade(canopies if ppl have them), ppl bring their own drinks.
StevenK
Pinned the topic so its at the top.

As for charging registration, I personally am against that. I would rather have a free park, or chill in a parking lot than have to pay to come to the meet.
flu_by_u
QUOTE(StevenK @ Jan 5 2011, 10:53 AM) *
Pinned the topic so its at the top.

As for charging registration, I personally am against that. I would rather have a free park, or chill in a parking lot than have to pay to come to the meet.

I am in the same boat.
Stephen
The parks themselves are free. The covered tables are not.

But without $ coming in (registration/whatever) we aren't going to get any trophies/awards/whatever. Which is fine by me, but others might want it/might increase attendance.

Parking was quite adequate at Duke's & even better if we don't allow canopies in the parking area.

I'm liking the idea of doing it in May/June, instead of Fall, since that would be 8-9 months away from now.
Stephen
Looking over rainfall records online.....May seems to be the highest, June a little less, then May less than that (and 11 degrees cooler).

I say lets do it in May. Just 4 months away, but we can do that.
58mark
one advantage of waiting until the fall... It gives local groups to really get the word out in their owns areas.. for example, houston always does a big summertime event, and could push the statewide event while they have everybody in one place. Same goes for the Dallas group, but we have a better internet based group, and can get the word out either way

may or may not be a big deal

One way to have registration free and still have trophies and other swag is to either have sponsors, or only charge a fee to those who want to enter their car for consideration for judging... that's the fair way. If you don't want to be judged, you dont need to be charged, because you aren't taking home a trophy anyway.

I'd love to see enough categories for judging that many people can get excited about bring their cars... Survivor class, V6, in addition to the regular classes... you could check out the Fbody gathering site out of atlanta for ideas.

May is cool.... not too late, not too early
flu_by_u
May is fine for me. We gonna cruise to the park after eating or chill in Dukes parking lot the whole time?
topduarte
For the Mopar club we have here in Austin, we usually had our gatherings at one of the parks.

Some brought a grill and everybody brought their meats they wanted cooked and their own drinks.

Everyone like to hang out at parks and BS, droll over each others cars, play horseshoes, washers, etc.

Kids IMO get bored at car shows that are at restaurants within an hour.

Pick a park with a pool and that makes everyone happy.

Just my $.02!
zimmstoy
There is a park on the north side of town lake near riverside - right on the water if I recall correctly. They used to do the LoneStar Round Up there before it got really big and moved to the expo center. Not sure what would be involved to find out about it, but I always remember havinga great time out there. Room for a few hundred cars.
marc
I'm down for duke's again but I agree with every one that it was just way to hot last year. I vote that we start at Duke's and eat and what not then cruise to a park or what ever. I'm down for the pool idea if we can find one that is free or cheap.
Stephen
How about a river instead of a public pool? GT has a great swimming hole not 5 min away from Duke's. Personally? I love rivers/lakes over chlorine swimming pools ANY day! Just gotta check on parking over there, since I haven't been in awhile & I know they made some changes to it.
marc
I'd be down for that
58mark
I think a plan is needed for promotion. Typically these things suffer a terrible sophomore slump. People who showed up the first year out of novelty aren't that interested in the second year.

Other than getting the word out on TGO and local groups like this one, what else can be done?

Stephen
QUOTE(58mark @ Jan 8 2011, 03:59 PM) *
I think a plan is needed for promotion. Typically these things suffer a terrible sophomore slump. People who showed up the first year out of novelty aren't that interested in the second year.

Other than getting the word out on TGO and local groups like this one, what else can be done?

Advertising, radio/TV/internet ads, which I can't afford, so word of mouth I guess it is.
flu_by_u
Flyers!!! I always see flyers for these kinda things at HEB's, Rudy's BBQ, Vatozone, Oreillys.
58mark
here's some websites for other fbody gatherings around the country. Looking through them might give you some interesting ideas of ways to expand the festivities to a broader appeal, increasing participation

http://www.fbodybeachbash.com/index.php
http://www.fbodygathering.com/

I realize the audience for a third gen only event will be smaller than third gens only, but it's worth looking at other gatherings for inspiration

Without doubt, people need to feel that they are getting involved in something that is organized, and it's worth their time to drive 3, 4 or even 6 hours to get there to be a part of it.

I think offering something with events on a friday night and Saturday morning is worth looking at.

58mark
I'm willing to purchase a domain name and design a website to help us promote this and future events. Witha website we can get the event listed on websites that list car shows, and make promotion much easier

here's some names that are available....

these first two have the advantage of not seeming regional

thirdGenGathering.com
3rdGenGathering.com

if we want to make it regional, we have to decide on what the region is... broadening it might encourage others from OK, LA, and AR to attend

southcentral3rdGens.com
Texas3rdGens.com
3rdGensofTexas.com

this one is a little different, but I kind of like it...

8292thirds.com

couple more with a regional theme

3rdGenRoundup.com
ThirdGenRoundup.com

ok, feedback time!
rob
I would love to make a bigger event out of the meet. I am all for that...

As for my spot... I will know by tonight or tomorrow. I have a lot going on right now with personal stuff but I need to start making some time for myself before I go nuts.
The spot I am talking about is only fit for about 45 cars at the most. So if we are planning on a bigger than last year turn out this may not work. I dont care if we charge for the trophy stuff... entry fee would be what?

Dukes food was okay. As long as its not hot. A park is a better idea. Im sorry but having a BBQ with water near by beats eating there and then driving somewhere else.

I think the town lake idea is cool... so would be the georgetown park idea Steven had.
Stephen
QUOTE(rob @ Jan 10 2011, 11:36 AM) *
I would love to make a bigger event out of the meet. I am all for that...

As for my spot... I will know by tonight or tomorrow. I have a lot going on right now with personal stuff but I need to start making some time for myself before I go nuts.
The spot I am talking about is only fit for about 45 cars at the most. So if we are planning on a bigger than last year turn out this may not work. I dont care if we charge for the trophy stuff... entry fee would be what?

Dukes food was okay. As long as its not hot. A park is a better idea. Im sorry but having a BBQ with water near by beats eating there and then driving somewhere else.

I think the town lake idea is cool... so would be the georgetown park idea Steven had.

The Georgetown park is under 2min away. Lots of shade, so not far at all. Parking for 45 shouldn't be too bad & we can get creative to pack in a few more cars, just not another 45! lol.gif
58mark
I'm all for having a scenic location, one with shade...but if we are going to consider having anything on private land and forget about dukes,..

The question that has to be addressed, and nobody, including me, has a good answer for, is where is any food for the day going to come from?
BYOeverything?
Cater?
BBQ ourselves?
sponsorship money to buy food ahead of time?
Rich benefactor?
or do we just forget food, and if somebody gets hungry we say... "arby's is down the street, have a good time"
58mark
QUOTE(Stephen @ Jan 10 2011, 12:47 PM) *
The Georgetown park is under 2min away. Lots of shade, so not far at all. Parking for 45 shouldn't be too bad & we can get creative to pack in a few more cars, just not another 45! lol.gif

of course if it's anything like last year, 90 will say they are coming and 45 will show up
rob
QUOTE(58mark @ Jan 10 2011, 12:49 PM) *
of course if it's anything like last year, 90 will say they are coming and 45 will show up

Lol - just my luck they all show this year.

Catering works. But then we are back to charging for admission. Unless someone wants to foot the bill. lol
BBQ works, given we have someone go shopping before hand with coordinated shopping skills and some cash prepaid.

The only thing I can see being an issue is if more cars show up than planned. I am going to release the details of the location privately after I talk to them. I dont think its going to be a problem, just want to give them that respect.

If not, the park 2mins from dukes works for me. I think we need to get back to basics here first. How big are we going to go this year? If we want a huge outcome, which I think we do - then we should forget a private lot. What are we doing here?
58mark
QUOTE(rob @ Jan 10 2011, 01:06 PM) *
Lol - just my luck they all show this year.

Catering works. But then we are back to charging for admission. Unless someone wants to foot the bill. lol
BBQ works, given we have someone go shopping before hand with coordinated shopping skills and some cash prepaid.

The only thing I can see being an issue is if more cars show up than planned. I am going to release the details of the location privately after I talk to them. I dont think its going to be a problem, just want to give them that respect.

If not, the park 2mins from dukes works for me. I think we need to get back to basics here first. How big are we going to go this year? If we want a huge outcome, which I think we do - then we should forget a private lot. What are we doing here?

obviously I think we should shoot for the largest 3rdgen crown we can get. when we outgrow dukes and have a track record, then it will be easier to get corporate funding to allow us to grow to a different location

one thing I think should be considered is a location at a hotel with a large parking lot, that also happens to be near a few restaurants. That way you have food and comfort, but you also have the ability to plan more events, and stretch it to a two day event.
One thing about Having it at Dukes was we planned it at a time that we knew the parking lot would be empty. Have it at a hotel, and you can plan a longer day with more events.

rob
QUOTE(58mark @ Jan 10 2011, 01:12 PM) *
obviously I think we should shoot for the largest 3rdgen crown we can get. when we outgrow dukes and have a track record, then it will be easier to get corporate funding to allow us to grow to a different location

one thing I think should be considered is a location at a hotel with a large parking lot, that also happens to be near a few restaurants. That way you have food and comfort, but you also have the ability to plan more events, and stretch it to a two day event.
One thing about Having it at Dukes was we planned it at a time that we knew the parking lot would be empty. Have it at a hotel, and you can plan a longer day with more events.

Sounds good to me then. I was under the impression this was mainly an Austin meet... my bad. We need to combine Dallas and Houston then, which then I ask - Why do they have a meet when were in the middle and they want a bigger turnout as well? Sorry if im playing catch up guys... I try to be more of a part of this stuff but lately im helping a parent with cancer.
Stephen
QUOTE(rob @ Jan 10 2011, 12:22 PM) *
Sounds good to me then. I was under the impression this was mainly an Austin meet... my bad. We need to combine Dallas and Houston then, which then I ask - Why do they have a meet when were in the middle and they want a bigger turnout as well? Sorry if im playing catch up guys... I try to be more of a part of this stuff but lately im helping a parent with cancer.

You forget the title of this thread? "Second Annual TEXAS STATE Gathering"? That pretty much implies it is for the whole state not just Austin. We had people from Amarillo to Houston & everywhere in-between come last year.

Of course, anyone from anywhere is welcome to come, even from out-of-state, if they wanna come.

2010 TGO thread
rob
QUOTE(Stephen @ Jan 10 2011, 01:52 PM) *
You forget the title of this thread? "Second Annual TEXAS STATE Gathering"? That pretty much implies it is for the whole state not just Austin. We had people from Amarillo to Houston & everywhere in-between come last year.

Of course, anyone from anywhere is welcome to come, even from out-of-state, if they wanna come.

2010 TGO thread

Yes I know the title and I was there last year. I do remember a few from out of town. This still leaves my question remaining, why is there a meet in every city if this is the big kahuna?
Stephen
Here is how close the park is to Duke's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.