Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1988 Firebird Conversion from 2.8 to 305/350 ?
AustinThirdGen.Org > ATGO Forums > Automotive Discussion
Mitch Reese
I'm probably opening a can of worms by asking for opinions, thoughts, warnings, but here goes..

I have the 1988 Metalic Black Firebird with a 2.8, 5-Speed manual, and 66,000 original miles. I want a V8, and was thinking about selling it, dropping in a 305 or 350, or trading in to an outfit that has a F-Body V8 manual shift.

Sooo..... Besides swaping the motor, exhaust, computer, and posibly motor mounts, what are some of the other items, cautions, concerns with doing a swap like this?

I'd appreciate CONSTRUCTIVE comments and feed back.

Mitch's 1988 Firebird
58mark
QUOTE(Mitch Reese @ Mar 8 2011, 09:05 PM) *
I'm probably opening a can of worms by asking for opinions, thoughts, warnings, but here goes..

I have the 1988 Metalic Black Firebird with a 2.8, 5-Speed manual, and 66,000 original miles. I want a V8, and was thinking about selling it, dropping in a 305 or 350, or trading in to an outfit that has a F-Body V8 manual shift.

Sooo..... Besides swaping the motor, exhaust, computer, and posibly motor mounts, what are some of the other items, cautions, concerns with doing a swap like this?

I'd appreciate CONSTRUCTIVE comments and feed back.

Mitch's 1988 Firebird

transmission... I think you can get away with just changing the bell housing, but you would have to drive like you've got miss daisy in that car keep from tearing up a T5 from a V6.

you'll also have to change the front springs, the V8 is o much heavier, you'll need something stronger up there.

In my opinion, it's not worth the swap unless you are emotionall attached to that particular car. It's much easier to just sell that car and buy a Formula or another car that was designed that way from the factory.

lots of infomation on V6 to V8 swaps over on TGO, we've got a pretty active V6 forum.

you coming to the roundup? i don't want to be the only V6 there again!
58mark
by the way, sweet car!! if you are thinking of selling it, give me first crack at it, ok??

Albani
I think I'm the only one from the club that has seen your car. Mitch, you need to join us for breakfast sometime.

Normally I would say, sell your car and just buy what you're looking for, much easier than a swap.
But your car is way to nice to get rid of, so keep it and make it go faster.
58mark
QUOTE(Albani @ Mar 9 2011, 07:22 AM) *
I think I'm the only one from the club that has seen your car. Mitch, you need to join us for breakfast sometime.

Normally I would say, sell your car and just buy what you're looking for, much easier than a swap.
But your car is way to nice to get rid of, so keep it and make it go faster.

there's so few really nice V6 cars out there, please dont chop up yours. Preserve it!
StevenK
If you are going to go through the hassle of a swap, why not go LT1 or LS1?
thomasj
stupid.gif
58mark
QUOTE(thomasj @ Mar 9 2011, 09:31 AM) *
stupid.gif

I dont think the base model suspension could handle that. its not as beefy as the upper end models, and the brakes are pretty wimpy. For sure he would want 4 wheel discs.

Stephen
For suspension, I hear that V6 front springs are a common thing for LS1 cars, due to the lower weight of the aluminum block LS1. Obviously lowering springs with a higher rate is a better choice, but at least the V6 springs will get rid of the 4x4 look.
StevenK
Mark has a good point, the brakes would probably need an upgrade too otherwise the car would end up in a tree or something, my Z28 brakes feel like they need to be upgraded in my LS1
Mitch Reese
QUOTE(58mark @ Mar 9 2011, 06:27 AM) *
transmission... I think you can get away with just changing the bell housing, but you would have to drive like you've got miss daisy in that car keep from tearing up a T5 from a V6.

you'll also have to change the front springs, the V8 is o much heavier, you'll need something stronger up there.

In my opinion, it's not worth the swap unless you are emotionall attached to that particular car. It's much easier to just sell that car and buy a Formula or another car that was designed that way from the factory.

lots of infomation on V6 to V8 swaps over on TGO, we've got a pretty active V6 forum.

you coming to the roundup? i don't want to be the only V6 there again!

Where is the roundup? Date and Time? I'd like to make one of these meets. I usually find out about it after it happens or already have some business scheduled.
Stephen
QUOTE(Mitch Reese @ Mar 9 2011, 12:53 PM) *
Where is the roundup? Date and Time? I'd like to make one of these meets. I usually find out about it after it happens or already have some business scheduled.

Georgetown May 21 1pm
Roundup Link
Mitch Reese
Wow, thanks for all the great feedback. A lot of things I completely overlooked just pondering a conversion... Hmm... WELL., V6 headers, suspension upgrades, and heck, I'd like to replace the hub for disk in the back even leaving it V6.

Well Mark, looks like it's still going to be another V6 for the next meet. thumbupwink.gifohmy.gif)
58mark
QUOTE(Mitch Reese @ Mar 9 2011, 01:59 PM) *
Wow, thanks for all the great feedback. A lot of things I completely overlooked just pondering a conversion... Hmm... WELL., V6 headers, suspension upgrades, and heck, I'd like to replace the hub for disk in the back even leaving it V6.

Well Mark, looks like it's still going to be another V6 for the next meet. thumbupwink.gifohmy.gif)

Fantastic! Can't wait to meet you and see your amazing looking car
58mark
QUOTE(Mitch Reese @ Mar 9 2011, 01:59 PM) *

Have you thought about a 3.4 swap? It's a real nice upgrade in power and torque, without the rest of the hassle. Plus your engine bay would still look stock.
Mitch Reese
QUOTE(Stephen @ Mar 9 2011, 01:59 PM) *
Georgetown May 21 1pm
Roundup Link

BooYah! Got it in the Calendar (with reminder ohmy.gif)
oohyea.gif
Mitch Reese
QUOTE(58mark @ Mar 9 2011, 02:12 PM) *
Have you thought about a 3.4 swap? It's a real nice upgrade in power and torque, without the rest of the hassle. Plus your engine bay would still look stock.

If I'm going to go through all the motions of disonnecting from the engine and reattaching to a new one, I'd rather it be a V8. I'll probably leave it with the original 2.8 since it only has 66,000 original miles.
58mark
QUOTE(Mitch Reese @ Mar 9 2011, 02:27 PM) *
If I'm going to go thro

ugh all the motions of disonnecting from the engine and reattaching to a new one, I'd rather it be a V8. I'll probably leave it with the original 2.8 since it only has 66,000 original miles.

As original as your car is, I like that plan. I might someday do the 3.4 swap, but as good as mine runs, it might be a long time before the 2.8 is ready to die. Tough little engines
Mitch Reese
I'm keeping all the original parts at hand, but I've already replaced the crossmember with a UMI high perfomance, and the tanny mount. Engine mounts, front shocks, headliner, and posibly headers are next.
58mark
QUOTE(Mitch Reese @ Mar 9 2011, 11:57 PM) *
I'm keeping all the original parts at hand, but I've already replaced the crossmember with a UMI high perfomance, and the tanny mount. Engine mounts, front shocks, headliner, and posibly headers are next.

ok, got cha down on the official thrad on thirdgen.org. Looking forward to it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.