Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock pipe vs 3" cat back
AustinThirdGen.Org > ATGO Forums > Automotive Discussion
Javier
Hi all,
Pardon my simple question but I am a newbie in third gen.
What's the difference of having a 3"stock single pipe vs 3",let say, flow master cat back? As far as performance goes.
Thanks!
Eddy
Well, the stock pipe isn't 3". It's 2 1/4 if I remeber right. I put 3" on all my cars. Does it help? I'm guessing it does since it let's the engine exhaust easier. The sound is much deeper and throatier though. Personally, I stay away from Flowmasters.
Javier
QUOTE(Eddy @ Jun 27 2011, 10:02 AM) *
Well, the stock pipe isn't 3". It's 2 1/4 if I remeber right. I put 3" on all my cars. Does it help? I'm guessing it does since it let's the engine exhaust easier. The sound is much deeper and throatier though. Personally, I stay away from Flowmasters.

You are correct. They are 2.25 or 2 1/4". I just found out. Do you of any cat back that bolts on to the LO3 exhaust system? Somebody mentioned to me Hooker.
Eddy
I had the Hooker Aerochamber cat back on my 91. That was an amazing sounding exhaust...pretty much perfect IMO. It was a 4th gen cat back but everything bolted right up except for where the I pipe hooked to th cat. It has to be modified at that connection to tie in to the stock Y pipe if you get a 4th gen set up. On my vert I have 3" summit cat back. It bolts directly on and it was around $170 shipped. It sounds kind of raspy like a Flowmaster, but a little quieter. I've only driven the car about a mile since it was installed so I can't really tell you how it sounds cruising.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.