Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car wont start , engine service light
AustinThirdGen.Org > ATGO Forums > Automotive Discussion
Luis Gonzalez
i have a 92 camaro rs 350 tbi that stalled while parked in my driveway. That same day it stalled twice on me on my way home I been looking in the forums here to diagnosed the issue my myself . Ive checked the fuel pump and the distrbator which needed to be replaced so i put in a new cap and rotor. The car does turn on but dies about 3 secounds after . I remember the service engine soon light was on and i looked at the tut http://www.thirdgen.org/service-engi...ht-error-codes which im not sure im doing it right. I see the light flashing a making pauses the it will light up pause and light up twice it will keep doing this, now am i waiting for a number to show up or is this light sequence a "12" light..... light,light over and over im in fort hood Texas any help i would greatly appreciate it
Luis Gonzalez
QUOTE(Luis Gonzalez @ Jul 11 2012, 03:16 PM) *
i have a 92 camaro rs 350 tbi that stalled while parked in my driveway. That same day it stalled twice on me on my way home I been looking in the forums here to diagnosed the issue my myself . Ive checked the fuel pump and the distrbator which needed to be replaced so i put in a new cap and rotor. The car does turn on but dies about 3 secounds after . I remember the service engine soon light was on and i looked at the tut http://www.thirdgen.org/service-engi...ht-error-codes which im not sure im doing it right. I see the light flashing a making pauses the it will light up pause and light up twice it will keep doing this, now am i waiting for a number to show up or is this light sequence a "12" light..... light,light over and over im in fort hood Texas any help i would greatly appreciate it

OK i get a code "12" which just means the systems working idk whats going on with my car at all really sucks because its my only ride
BigBadLou
Hi and welcome to the club. party.gif

A nice "hello" would help. Maybe an introduction and a few words would not be a bad idea either.

Standard procedures apply to diagnose a no-start:
- find out WHAT is missing: fuel or spark
- spray some carb cleaner into the intake and keep spraying once the engine fires up and if you can keep it running with the spray, it is a fueling issue
- if it's not fuel, pull a spark plug boot and spark plug and test for good spark

If it's a fuel issue, test fuel pressure at the TB. Autozone sells fuel pressure testers or you can find them much cheaper at Harbor Freight Tools, if you have one close by.

While trying to start the engine repeatedly, it really helps to have a charger on the battery to keep it topped off. It is frustrating if you are close to a break through and the battery dies and you have to wait overnight for it to recharge.

I saw your other thread about the relays, I will reply there. It could possibly be a fuel pump relay problem.

Let us know what you find.
Lou
BigBadLou
Btw, if you can read ECM code 12, that means that you CAN read the codes (that's a good thing) but you have no fault codes (I guess that's a good thing too). So it doesn't tell us what's wrong here.
The code 12 is a REAL code. For the record, it is NOT an "all ok" code as the myth goes. It is a fault code for "no reference pulse from distributor", which loosely translated into plain English means "engine not running".
Which of course explains the CEL (SES). Any time there is a code, the CEL comes on. So when the engine is not running, the CEL MUST come on. Once the engine is started, the CEL goes away.

Lou
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.