Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear end swap
AustinThirdGen.Org > ATGO Forums > Automotive Discussion
xx138xx
I have posted this on thirdgen.org as well

I have an 86 trans am with a 9 bolt with 2.77 gears. My take off sucks with highway gears. I have an extra limited slip 10 bolt with 3.42 gears from a 99 firebird. Neither have traction control. Is it a direct swap? It looks like it is. I have read that the 99 axle sticks out a little which I dont mind. Is there anything i would have to change? Any insight? Thanks for any input.
Stephen
QUOTE(xx138xx @ Dec 26 2013, 07:19 PM) *
I have posted this on thirdgen.org as well

I have an 86 trans am with a 9 bolt with 2.77 gears. My take off sucks with highway gears. I have an extra limited slip 10 bolt with 3.42 gears from a 99 firebird. Neither have traction control. Is it a direct swap? It looks like it is. I have read that the 99 axle sticks out a little which I dont mind. Is there anything i would have to change? Any insight? Thanks for any input.

Direct bolt-in but the rear end is 4" wider overall. So......Your wheels & tires will set out 2" further on both side like this blue Camaro (i forget who it belonged to).
flu_by_u
What about if you're going from factory drum to 4th gen disc rear end?
kewl_blades
Direct swap, yes. With some provisions.
You will need the COMPLETE rear end from the 99 including the rear brake hard lines with the T fitting, calipers, backing plates and rotors.
In actuality the 4th Gen LS1 housing and axles stick out a little over 1.5" on each side. Your stock thirdgen rims will stick out to the outer fender lip. If your rear suspension is good, you won't have any rubbing issues. If it's not good, go ahead and spend the extra $ while you already have the rear end dropped and get good springs and shocks.
What you WILL have to modify is the rear emergency brake linkage. Some people have modified the stock thirdgen linkage for the rear LS1 style brakes. Some just used the stock LS1 linkage and modified the undercarriage mounting points under the thirdgen to accommodate the longer linkage.

One of the many benefits of having a 4th Gen rearend is that you can now use MOST 4th Gen rims on the rear without any spacers. If it fits a 4th Gen and a Vette, you can run those wheels on the back. Fronts still require the correct spacers/adapters for a matching set.
BigBadLou
FWIW, the car in the picture belonged to Travis, IIRC. Haven't seen him in many years, not sure if he's even around. Steven would know but he's not around anymore either. We are falling apart. willy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.