Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlights won't go down
AustinThirdGen.Org > ATGO Forums > Automotive Discussion
Coach Mike
Hello!

I replaced the gears in my headlight motors and they now both go up and down manually nicely. If I put them down manually and then turn the lights on, they both go up and the lights turn on. When I shut them off the lights go out but they won't go down.

It's an 1989 Firebird Formula 350

Thoughts?

Coach Mike
Mitch Reese
QUOTE(Coach Mike @ Apr 20 2019, 11:45 AM) *
Hello!

I replaced the gears in my headlight motors and they now both go up and down manually nicely. If I put them down manually and then turn the lights on, they both go up and the lights turn on. When I shut them off the lights go out but they won't go down.

It's an 1989 Firebird Formula 350

Thoughts?

Coach Mike

Sounds like it might be wired wrong. Should be a simple plug though. Maybe a bad ground?
BigBadLou
Welcome to ATGO, Mike! Which part of town do you hail from?

Mitch is right, sounds like an electrical problem. (the motors are on a completely separate circuit from the headlamp bulbs)
Plenty of troubleshooting guides on them Ynterwebs.
I'd love to refer you to a diagram but our technical articles seem to be inaccessible at the moment (something wrong with the centralmediaserver.com domain *shrug*), sorry.
You can always try TGO, it is a nationwide website with a lot more resources.
Lou
BigBadLou
Diagrams are back up online.
Look for the headlight door module on the firewall, driver side. It is pretty flat and has a lot of wires, you can identify it easily by the wire colors.
Ensure all connectors are clean and tight.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.